News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Value of 51AL

Started by Dan F, March 20, 2015, 02:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan F

I have a WE 51AL candle. Looks like "New Old Stock". All original. Perfect cables, complete with subset.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

It could be worth a few hundred dollars or more, depending on how it looks.  Does it have a #2 dial?  Pictures will help.

Larry

Dan F

Picture of 51L

Sargeguy

An average one sells from $175-225.  This would probably bring more.  I would hook this one up to a nice subset if I were going to sell it.  You could probably add $200 to the price.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan F

I has the correct dated subset, in same condition.

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 29, 2015, 11:42:10 AM
An average one sells from $175-225.  This would probably bring more.  I would hook this one up to a nice subset if I were going to sell it.  You could probably add $200 to the price.   

Sargeguy

Did you get it working?  I have sold nice working examples for around $450-550.  If yours is in mint condition it should work if you attach a modern line cord.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Detailed pictures please!   We want to see it all.
And we love to see all the dates and component numbers too.
Mint condition pieces are a great source of historical information.

Dan F

Got it working, rings and everything. even used it for a few months.

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan F on March 31, 2015, 03:53:24 PM
Got it working, rings and everything. even used it for a few months.
Now we really want to see it!

Dan F

Detailed pictures #1

Dan F

Detailed pictures #2

Dan F

Detailed pictures #3

Dan F

Detailed pictures #4

Note: handset has "PROPERTY OF AMERICAN TELEPHONE & TELEGRAPH CO." around edge

unbeldi

Really very nice looking.  Thank you.

Your desk stand was refurbished in the third quarter of 1933, at least that's when the transmitter was refurbished.

The 51AL used a sidetone circuit with a 534A subscriber set.  Your subscriber set was a 534A before it was converted to a 634A.  The old label is still visible.  The schematic number, P-244045, is that of the a 534A.   The 534A had a No. 46B induction coil. The old coil was upgraded by adding another winding, and then it was restamped 146B.

With a 634A subset, your desk stand should be a 151AL.  The 634A uses an anti-sidetone circuit, which required an upgrade in the switch configuration of the desk stand.  However, I do not see the correct hookswitch assembly for a 151AL.  It appears to be a 51AL, as you stated.

So, this presents a problem, I think you have a sidetone instrument hooked up to an anti-sidetone subscriber set.  How many wires does the cord contain that connects the desk stand to the subset?  A sidetone telephone uses three wires, while an AST set requires four.  I think I see only three (red, green, and yellow).

Technically, the configuration can work if the sidetone is acceptable on the line you're using.  Seems like you have no trouble.  But this was not the original configuration that the telephone company would have installed.

But it looks like a really nice set.