News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I suppose I should own up to doing something similar myself, using a Kirby nozzle and a rotary dimmer switch, I made the following "lamp", and used a retro-style bulb (it's a modern repro, can't get them any more thanks to the anti-incandescent movement), in my defence, the nozzle was worn out and not repairable, it kept falling off the Kirby...  :P

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 30, 2011, 10:40:10 AM
http://tinyurl.com/663r64j

Doug, here's the Fat Boy's WE soul mate - and at the low price of $120.

http://tinyurl.com/7rbwt9p

That would have been a nice metal finger wheel 500 in anyone's collection.

The seller web site has quite a few "upcycled" lighted objects but this 500 was the biggest waste.

Doug Rose

way too much time on their hands
Kidphone

twocvbloke

I was browsing Instructables the other day and happened upon this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Retro-Phone-Phone-Charging-Station/

My comment there at the bottom said what I had to say really,  it's sad to see phones abused like that when there's most likely nothing wrong with them, and modifying them with drilling holes is just instant devaluation regardless of it's age and originality.... :(

Greg G.

That handset cord doesn't look right.  The "stub" on the transmitter end of the handset looks like one of those modern Cortelco handset cords.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Yeah, the reason for that is they used a cheap car cigar lighter socket charger's cable to replicate the coiled cable, between the plug dangling from the earpiece and the mains charger exiting the back of the phone...

dpaynter1066

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
-Einstein

bingster

Patented??? I'd like to see proof of that patent.  People sure are full of themselves.
= DARRIN =

twocvbloke

Things like that need an "Undo" button, to undo the damage caused by people who insist on making something interesting into a blummin' lamp!!! ::)

Tom B

In the following listing on eBay there's a black one too.
Tom

LarryInMichigan

I saw that listing and was glad that at least the phone was a later model AE80.  I have been looking for an early read AE80 (and not a lamp).

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: bingster on February 21, 2012, 02:42:17 PM
Patented??? I'd like to see proof of that patent.  People sure are full of themselves.

If AE were still around I wonder what they would have to say about his "Patent"?

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 21, 2012, 07:26:44 PM
I saw that listing and was glad that at least the phone was a later model AE80.  I have been looking for an early read AE80 (and not a lamp).
Larry

Better keep looking. the black one's made by someone other than AE (WECo, NECo, ITT?)

Both the red AE 80 and the black 500 have phone number BR549 on them...must be their model number of the creation.

Terry

Willytx

BR5-49 was the phone number for Junior Samples Used Car Lot (or was it Emporium?) on the program Hee-Haw.

The creator of the phone lamp should be arrested for Crimes Against Telephony.