Main Menu

AE 34 No Transmission

Started by Doug Rose, September 18, 2018, 01:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have never seen one like this....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Nope.    That's not standard to that set. 

Jeff

Doug Rose

I think I have a spare from an AE 40 somewhere
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I do have an AE 40 condenser, should I swap it out? Everything does function properly except for transmission....thanks to all for your input....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
          I would disconnect the old one and just clip-lead the cap from the 40 in place . Hope it will be fixed.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

thanks Stub.....I will give it a try....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

The condenser that was in the AE34 had only two wires. I connected each side of the condenser to where the two wires were. Phone rings dials out...no transmission. Where do the two remaining wires go? I think that will do it.....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug   ....   According to the schematic I posted for that set, it appears to share "one" condenser / capacitor between the ringer and the talk circuit.    So the set only takes a single 1.0 mfd condenser / capacitor, so there would only be 2 terminals.   Here's the diagram with the condenser / capacitor in the red box.   Click to enlarge.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Here is the condenser and it was on 4 and 10
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

That capacitor is listed as a radio capacitor.   However it is listed at 1 mfd, with working voltages of 400 Volts DC, and 100 Volts 60 cycles AC.     The first capacitor or condenser you tried with 4 terminals, is most likely for a anti side tone set, with one of the two capacitors rated at about 0.5 mfd (ringer) and 2.0 mfd (talk circuit).   

Jeff

Doug Rose

This was a build for a customer who wanted a not too shiny brass AE34. Cosmetic wise, it is really nice with a few dings in the brass as they wanted a used look. Gasket showing signs of wear....but then again so do I.  :'(  I have done 34s before but this was a lesson in frustration.

I do appreciate your help Jeff, Stub and Robbie.

I can always use another display phone. I might hook it up just for the great ring

I do respect the member who said he never got a phone that he couldn't make work.

Not me....Lemon #2 this month....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

If it has one of those conversion type handsets make sure the transmitter element isn't shorted. That setup is hard to put together without twisting the parts inside and shorting a contact. You almost need three hands to assemble it. I see your handset is the regular old type. If the handset works on other phones then it is internal to the AE 34. I think you checked for the obvious everything else.
Is it possible there could be an open winding in the coil?
Howard