News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OOPS! I almost missed this one!

Started by HELLO CENTRAL, March 15, 2010, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HELLO CENTRAL

;D Luckily I did a u-turn at my favorite thrift shop today! There it was ???
Oh, I thought, another of those cheesy imitation French Style phones. Except this had a dial  :o Turned it over.  WESTERN ELECTRIC8) The trick was not to do cartwheels on the way to the check-out. 

This is what I got for the glorious sum of $5.99 less 25%:
MODEL 940 Celebrity   B40-Gold trim, 3 feet (MD78) :
http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/images/phone/ivyceleb_1.jpg

There are some other interesting phones here?
http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/phone1.html

There is no date of manufacture/country of origin, but it has a serial number,
The gold trim is a bit pitted, and it's missing its feet, but otherwise looks to be in good shape.

Walt S Will someone please turn off the rain in New Jersey!   :D
HELLO CENTRAL.

Drew

There's a picture of one of those in Dooner's Telephone Collecting book listed as circa 1977. If it's from the 70's it could very well be a U.S. made unit. I thought all imported products need to be marked with the country of manufacture.  I guess you could look at the internal parts for clues.

HELLO CENTRAL

Thank you.  Judging by the weight alone it has to be from that era.  Ah, made in
America. ;)  Walt S
HELLO CENTRAL.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Drew on March 15, 2010, 04:26:14 PM
There's a picture of one of those in Dooner's Telephone Collecting book listed as circa 1977. If it's from the 70's it could very well be a U.S. made unit. I thought all imported products need to be marked with the country of manufacture.  I guess you could look at the internal parts for clues.

Those are from the 70's, they were sold in the phone center stores, and I beleive the were made in the USA by WE, ISTR that they have a trimline ringer. Paul F has some info on his site, under designline.

They also came in light blue w/ silver trim and later in black w/ a rd TT dial.
I believe this Ivory-type color was the most common, then the blue and last was black. I have seen the Ivory color w/ the rd TT dial. I have a couple of boxes of these phones. I should have the BSP if you want a copy.

I would of paid $5.99 even w/o a discount.

Jim s.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HELLO CENTRAL

Thank you, Jim.  Now I'll keep a look out for one of the others!

Walt
HELLO CENTRAL.

Craig T

I had one last year, but sold it. I knew even less then than I know now about phones, I would like to see one in hand again with a bit of knowledge under me. Nice addition, for that money especially.

HELLO CENTRAL

I can't count the items I wish I'd bought along the way.  When you least expect it, Craig, you will find something even better!  Best, Walt
HELLO CENTRAL.

Jim Stettler

I couldn't find this thread to post celebrity info on so I started a new one called Celebrity info.

They  were made at WE Indy. There were 8 variations of the early sets and by "78 they were down to 2.

Bsp #'s and comments are on the new thread.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.