News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What a way to start the day.....

Started by AET, January 04, 2011, 01:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Well, I'm getting ready for work today. Just an average day, shower, shave, etc, etc.  I'm in the other room and I hear a loud crash.  My bookcase full of phones fell down.  It was a huge mess.  I had 2 damaged phones out of the about 15 or so that fell.
- Tom

Wallphone

And it happened less than two minutes after you said you would take the Bee Gees over the Beatles.
Never mind, that had to be a coincidence.
(Good job John & George)

AE_Collector

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on January 04, 2011, 01:38:34 PM
Well, I'm getting ready for work today. Just an average day, shower, shave, etc, etc.  I'm in the other room and I hear a loud crash.  My bookcase full of phones fell down.  It was a huge mess.  I had 2 damaged phones out of the about 15 or so that fell.

Everyones WORST Nightmare!! Hopefully nothing that is to hard to fix is broken.

Terry

Wallphone

But of course I would never want anyone's phones to get damaged.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on January 04, 2011, 02:20:12 PM
But of course I would never want anyone's phones to get damaged.

Wish we could say the same for the Beattles though. Their revenge is obviously swift...

Terry

Dan/Panther

Tom;
Sorry to hear about your phones. That can be very discouraging, not to mention costly.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Sorry to hear about that.
I have been there, and done that, now I secure the shelfs with screws. My crash involved about 10 phones. Damage was 2 broken handsets.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Tom.  I hope the damage was minimal.  I hope the Red & Green 500's from last Christmas were spared.

Dan

I had that happen last year and only chipped an AE80. The sound of the bells sounded like a symphony . My three sons heard it and all swallowed laughs while I assessed the damage. It was a rough 5 minutes

Good luck to you!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

guitar1580

Yikes!  Sorry to hear that.  Those phones can sure make a shelf top heavy.

I have a shallow depth unstable gun cabinet, and secured it to the wood window frame behind it with brass hooks and a piece of copper chain.  Quick fix.

Josh P

Russ Kirk

It is sad to hear about the loss of any phone.  How bad were the two sets damaged?  If you can post photos I'm sure someone here may have the replacement parts.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AET

Thanks for your sympathies all.  Nobody besides phone collectors care about such a loss.  The only 2 damaged were my two Leichs.  The one with the magneto dial suffered good damage to the case right below the crank to the base.  The other manual dial wasn't so bad, only damaging the screw on collar that holds the mouthpiece in place.

I picked up some L brackets to reinforce the bookcase, but haven't gotten to it, and right now everything's just sitting as a mess in my 'telephone room' as my friends call it.
- Tom

NorthernMan

After reading of your mishap i have dutifully reinforced my shelves with the same L  brackets. I guess job 1 of a collector is to do no harm, but as they say @@it happens. I have some wallphones held by magnets in steel lateral cabinets ...i am always wondering what happens when and if the magnets fail.

Wallphone

As for what would happen if the magnets fail, you might want to talk to Mr. Newton.
After you hear what he has to say,
you might want to talk to Mr. Murphy.