News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Galion Pair With Metal Housings

Started by magicbrain, December 07, 2018, 09:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

Won this eBay auction for two North Galions phones with metal housings(dated 10/39), North dials & straight line ringers @ $34.49 all in. ;D
Interestingly, both have a WE 101-A induction coil(dated III-39) & BA1A ringer(dated 9/39) installed - extra holes were drilled to mount the ringers.
The only difference between them is that one base plate is zinc? plated brass & the other is aluminium.
Just minor issues with some cradle post paint loss, all the handset elements are missing & both dials are seized tight.

eBay listing:
https://tinyurl.com/yb7ndglw

Bruce

Jim Stettler

1 metal North for  $35.00 would of been a nice deal. 2 for less than $35.00 is a very good deal. You should put it in the find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

magicbrain

More pictures.

Bruce

Doug Rose

Not quite sure what seller was thinking. A lot of work for $10. Then eBay's cut...PayPal etc.   Real nice North dials...you done good.

Check out the dates on the inside back of the metal shells, WE coil and the elements. My guess is '39 or '40.......Doug
Kidphone

magicbrain

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 07, 2018, 09:07:09 PM
1 metal North for  $35.00 would of been a nice deal. 2 for less than $35.00 is a very good deal. You should put it in the find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
Quote from: Doug Rose on December 07, 2018, 09:19:26 PM
Not quite sure what seller was thinking. A lot of work for $10. Then eBay's cut...PayPal etc.   Real nice North dials...you done good.

Check out the dates on the inside back of the metal shells, WE coil and the elements. My guess is '39 or '40.......Doug

Thanks - I was surprised no other bidders on these - and this was the second time listed - first auction also started at $9.99 and ended with no bids according to the sellers completed auction history.
Bruce

HarrySmith

Nice score! Especially with the North dials. I would send those off to Steve.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

magicbrain

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 08, 2018, 06:48:07 AM
Nice score! Especially with the North dials. I would send those off to Steve.

These North dials may be too far gone - both are badly corroded, also the plastic adapters have shrunk & are broken into several pieces.
The pictures are of the better of the two.

Bruce

HarrySmith

I bet Steve can still fix them up. The plastic might be another story. There may be parts available somewhere.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

That was really quite a deal.  I paid more for the one metal North I have.  Those dial adapters are almost always disintegrating like that.  i carefully glued one or two back together to the point where it was usable, if not nice looking.  I have been using "Fix-All Adhesive" (link), which is sold by Dollar Tree, for such repairs.  It smells bad and takes many hours to cure, but it is very helpful in such situations.

As far as the paint chips go, I use a black paint marker, usually a Testors brand, to touch up the chipped areas.  Some rubbing with Brasso and steel wool will make the finger wheels look nice.

I look forward to seeing the restored phones.

Larry