News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Galion Wall Phone

Started by wds, January 17, 2012, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

It's been a while since I've picked up any desk phones, having been focusing on Candlesticks.  But I got this one for pretty cheap, $26 including shipping.  I figured the dial was worth that - if it worked.  The phone cleaned up like new - not a scratch on it.  I was able to get the frequency ringer to work by loostening the two bolts and adjusting the gap on either side of the armature.  Rings perfectly now.  Not sure what the frequency of the ringer was to begin with.  Leather feet, matching dates 1950.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

That's a great find, and it really polished up nicely.  I got one, apparently NOS, a while back at the flea market for $55.  It is interesting that the same base was used for both the desk and wall versions, similar to the Kellogg red bar.

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 17, 2012, 06:42:43 PMIt is interesting that the same base was used for both the desk and wall versions, similar to the Kellogg red bar.

The GPO did the same, the 711 and 741 phones were wall-versions of the 706 and 746 respectively, only adjusting the hookswitch position and dial orientation... :)

Saves money in developing a completely different phone, and makes the phone engineer's job easier when it comes to on-site repairs... :)

Doug Rose

Dave...outstanding job! Looks like it just came out of the box......Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Dave.  Nice job on refurbishing it.  That was a very good buy.  They don't show up too often.

wds

I was quite happy with how well it cleaned up.  It looks like a new phone. The last few phones I gotten have not lived up to the sellers claims, so it was nice to get a good one for a change.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

With both the North and Kellogg, the shell of the desk model is held with screws from the bottom while the wall model shell is held with a clip.  Everything else is the same between the desk and wall versions.

The NE Uniphone also shares the same base between desk and wall models, but the wall model has some extra hardware to hold the shell.

Larry

paul-f

Quote from: wds on January 17, 2012, 04:16:21 PM
Not sure what the frequency of the ringer was to begin with.  

Nice job!

Check your ringer against the table on this page to determine it's original frequency:
  http://www.paul-f.com/NorthRingers.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wds

I have the H 224 E - 25 Hz.  I guess that's why it "tuned" up so easily. 
Dave