News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need help with mini network on a W.E. 202

Started by hearsay, November 15, 2012, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearsay

Hi. I have a Western Electric phone, that I have been unable to get working. I do not have an original ringer box, so I am combining it with a Radio Shack ringer which connects in-line with the transmission phone cable and a mini network. I cant remember if I got a diagram with a mini network when I bought it or if I just used schematics off the www, but at the time I was not able to get it to work. I was able to make calls but the other person could not hear me. Anyway I found a few other photos + diagrams on the net for wiring up 202 with a mini network but they were all different. I tried them and no good.
I am assuming the main components of the phone are fine and it was supposedly working for the prior owner. I have just about given up on this, and so I thought I would ask for help here before chucking it or maybe getting an original ringer box. I included a photo of my actual phone with the last wiring attempt. (no dial tone at all with this)
I am hoping some here can be kind enough to have  look and point out where I am going wrong. Cheers

poplar1

Is the cord going from the phone to the wall a flat one with a modular plug on one end? If so, the red and green wires are the only ones to use.

Are both sets of contacts on the hookswitch (the contacts that hang up the phone when the handset is in the cradle) opening when you hang up, then closing (Y to BK and GN to W) when you pick up the handset?

If that works, then I would completely rewire it as follows:

1. Incoming line (red) to Y hookswitch terminal.
2. White mini-network wire (input) on BK hookswitch terminal.
3. Incoming line (green) to Y on dial.
4. Pink mini-network wire (input) on BK on dial.
5. Red handset wire and red mini-network wire on R brass terminal (as they are now).
6. White receiver wire to W on dial.
7. Yellow network wire to GN hookswitch terminal.
8. Short black jumper wire from W hookswitch terminal to BB on the dial.
9. Black handset wire and green network wire connected together.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

hearsay

thanks for reply popular1.
Initially when I had the phone nearly working I was using a flat cable (to the wall) with 2 (or 3) wires coming out of it. I then got a cord cable which has 4 wires and this threw me  because the original wiring diagrams I had never showed that many wires. The cord connection cable has R, Y, G, B wires. Do I ignore 2 of these wires?

AE_Collector

Quote from: hearsay on November 15, 2012, 11:53:15 PM
Do I ignore 2 of these wires?

Yes, tape up the black and yellow wires spade lugs and just use the green and red from the cord to the wall.

Terry

hearsay

Thanks AE & pop.
I wired up the phone as per your instructions, but no luck unfortunately.  I cannot get a dial tone. I tried to call out anyway and the call did not register. I included the latest pic of the setup just in case you see something I did wrong.
Just in case I thought I would mention I am in Australia.

poplar1

Move white network wire from BK on dial to BK on hookswitch.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

hearsay

Hi poplar1
It works  :)  I'm really happy to finally have this as more than a paper weight. thank you.
I do get some line static every now and then which is a bit annoying, but at least it works, but it might be the phone extension outlet I am using. I'll need to get another adapter to suit my 2nd line to test.  Cheers

twocvbloke

Quote from: hearsay on November 22, 2012, 04:12:13 AMI do get some line static every now and then which is a bit annoying

Could be the transmitter, they can cause bit of hissing, crackling or "frying" if they're past their best...

One solution to try and recover them is to remove the transmitter capsule and tap it on a hard surface, turning it around after each tap, this frees up the carbon granules and hopefully makes it less noisy, if not, sourcing a replacement is about the only option...

Of course, if you have known bad wiring in the walls, then investigate that first... :D