News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

127 Ringer Box Brass Bell Repair

Started by TelePlay, November 22, 2012, 08:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Bought a set of black painted bells off of eBay. Upon arrival, one rang well, the other just gave a thunk. It had a crack about a half inch long.

Removed the paint and discovered another crack about 3/4 inch away from the first and about a half inch long.

Removed the oxidation and found a 3rd crack about another 3/4 inch away from the second crack and about 3/8th inch long.

Drilled a small hole at the end of each to keep the crack from spreading.

Ground a "V" into each crack. Put flux in each groove.

Heated the bell from the inside with a propane torch and when about 500 to 550 degrees F, applied 5% silver solder into each "V." 5% silver solder melts about 450 degrees F and brass about 950.

Used a file to get rid of the excess, then 600 grit sand paper, then 0000 steel wool and then 1600 microfiber.

The bell rings well, and has about 90% sustain compared to the other bell that came with the set.

If I were to do this again, I would cut a "V" into both the outside and inside and solder from both sides.

The repair was an experiment to see if it would work. The silver solder is lighter than the brass so I will paint the bell to cover the repair. It didn't take that long or cost that much but just buying another bell would probably been a better way to go.

As I said, I did it to see if it could be done, to see what would happen. I'm posting this because I didn't find this type of repair after searching the CRPF. It may be in there somewhere but I couldn't find any reference to brass repair.

DavePEI

Neat repair, John. Hard to know it it was worth the effort, but it worked. Might give others some ideas!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001