News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Insulator pipe lamp

Started by ....., May 20, 2016, 01:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Certainly has a distinctive look, and would fit into the right place if the price were right.

$200 seems a bit steep for about $60 in  pipe and pipe fittings, a few feet of wire and two drilled insulators.

I wonder why they didn't hang a few more insulators on the tree, at least one more, to give it 3 dimensional symmetry.

At least, this lamp could be taken apart and used for its original purposes without any restoration.

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on May 20, 2016, 07:59:02 AM
I wonder why they didn't hang a few more insulators on the tree, at least one more, to give it 3 dimensional symmetry.

That was basically my thought before reading your thoughts. With only two "lamps" I think I would have used a "T" at the top and made it symmetrical. Or with three lamps I think I would have made it like a typical Pole Lamp with three lamps all at different heights each at 120 degrees from the previous.

Terry

andre_janew

I'm wondering if it is wired so both lamps come on at the same time.  Could it be wired so that first one comes on, then the other?  Either way, it certainly is different from any lamp I've previously seen on this forum!

19and41

I would've put them on two wooden single insulator bases on either side of a wood column.  Cut the tip of the threaded base, drill a wire channel put a high brightness LED in the space made in the insulator and made the whole affair lower like an accent light which it would be.  Of course when practicality trumps good taste the price goes down.  Something on the order of hard to light firewood.   :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke