"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Links needed

Started by poplar1, January 19, 2014, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Looking for the following info and can't locate it:

(1) The web page showing dates for variations of 302 parts. This was done by someone for a college paper.

(2) WE Catalog #8 or John Dommer's book. Both contain a page showing parts for a B1 hand set mounting, which was already manufacture discontinued. The catalog showed complete D1 mountings for sale but only parts for B1s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cihensley@aol.com

Do you need a scanned page out of Dommer's book?

Chuck

poplar1

Yes, please. It is the full page photo taken from WE Catalog, showing parts (with part numbers) that you could order for a B1 hand set mounting.

cihensley@aol.com

Here.

Chuck

poplar1

Thanks, Chuck. I've never seen the catalog this was copied from. It must be #8.

B1s parts are no longer available in Catalog #9 (copyright 1930,1935).
B1 Handset Mountings are available in Catalog #7 (1929).

Note that an oval hand telephone set in the 1930 Dommer reference is coded D1A and not yet 102 or 202, which were necessary soon after to distinguish sidetone and anti-sidetone versions.

B1 or D1=Handset Mounting only   
B1A or D1A=Hand Telephone Set (Handset Mounting + Handset + cords + apparatus blank)
B1B or D1B=Hand Telephone Set (Handset Mounting + Handset + cords + dial)

D1A and B1A would later be recoded 102 and 202, regardless of whether they were round or oval, depending on whether they had 3-conductor mounting cords (102) or 4-conductor (202).

A "B1 (or D1) handset mounting" or "B1 (or D1) mount" refers only to the part containing the base, baseplate, cradle, hookswitch and dial, if any. It does not refer to the complete phone.

The complete phone would be B1A, B1B, D1A, D1B, 102 or 202. All could have suffixes for color and the 102 and 202 would also have a suffix to indicate manual or various dials.

D1-3=Black handset mounting
D1A-3=black hand telephone set with apparatus blank
D1B-3=black hand tel. set with dial

Kenton K

I think this is the 302 evolution link you may be looking for.

http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm

KK

tallguy58

Does TCI library have these catalogs scanned? Would make interesting reading.
Cheers........Bill

cihensley@aol.com

poplar1:

Yes. 1930-31 is catalog 8. One I don't have. I keep looking for one.

Chuck

poplar1

[/quote]
Quote from: tallguy58 on January 19, 2014, 08:31:28 PM
Does TCI library have these catalogs scanned? Would make interesting reading.

WE Catalogs #2, #7, #9 and #11 are in the Members Only Section of the TCI website (telephonecollectors.org). Also there are NE Catalogs.

unbeldi

I think it should be of high priority for TCI to acquire the missing catalogs for the library.  It would be in every member's, especially US members, interest to have a complete lineage of this information available.

It is very interesting that this page contributed in this thread (THANK YOU, Chuck) shows the B1 as discontinued. This creates a conflict of interpreting the stamps found on B1s with later dates perhaps, but not if those mountings are B2 or another version.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on January 19, 2014, 07:59:20 PM

A "B1 (or D1) handset mounting" or "B1 (or D1) mount" refers only to the part containing the base, baseplate, cradle, hookswitch and dial, if any. It does not refer to the complete phone.

Indeed. WeCo used such distinctions previously too with the candlesticks.
For example, a 51-AL is only the stick with perch (mounting) without cords, when adding the cording it is a 1051AL telephone. Same seems to apply to all the desk stands.

They had another number, I believe, perhaps only for some models, that combined the telephone set with a subscriber set, to make a complete station. Has anyone researched this in detail?

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kenton K on January 19, 2014, 08:18:15 PM
I think this is the 302 evolution link you may be looking for.

http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm

KK

If that is it, here is a screenshot for the future. This is from Hal Belden's site.

Click on picture to enlarge and make it much more readable.

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on January 19, 2014, 11:02:00 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on January 19, 2014, 07:59:20 PM

Indeed. WeCo used such distinctions previously too with the candlesticks.
For example, a 51-AL is only the stick with perch (mounting) without cords, when adding the cording it is a 1051AL telephone. Same seems to apply to all the desk stands.

They had another number, I believe, perhaps only for some models, that combined the telephone set with a subscriber set, to make a complete station. Has anyone researched this in detail?

1051-AL is certainly correct for a 51AL equipped with 337 transmitter, 144 receiver, 2AB dial, and D3A and R2A cords, for example. However, there are occasions when just 51-AL is also used to refer to the complete phone, for example on some wiring diagrams (100A Key?). Further documentation is needed.

Catalog #7 shows some combination codes, on page 233, for example:

The Nos. 6003 and 6004 Type Desk Telephones consist of a No. 1040AL Desk Stand and a No. 300
             or 315 Desk Set Box. These telephones comprise the combinations of desk stands and desk set boxes
             that are most used, and therefore, for convenience in ordering, are covered by a single code number.

A collector friend in Québec told me that in his opinion, even "1051AL" rather than 51AL was something that existed only for catalog ordering. While I may disagree on that point, the above quotation does suggest that the combination codes like 6003 *were* in fact designed to facilitate ordering.

poplar1

Thank you Ken, Chuck and Terry for info you provided.