News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting variation of 1952 302 dial.

Started by Dan/Panther, February 08, 2009, 08:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

This dial is on a 302 dated  December 1952.  The dial almost looks like an AE, except for the finger hole positions. What is it ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

It does? How? Looks like a number card ring missing the card & plastic cover.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve K

It looks like a standard WE dial that is missing that spring washer that goes under the nut.

Steve

Dan/Panther

I agree about the mising washer, but it appears that nothing was ever there.

D/P

benhutcherson

I've had one or two that appeared to never have had the washer, either.

One of them, at least, was a switchboard-specific #5 dial(I forget the designation, it wasn't a standard 5H) from about '41.

bingster

Probably the 5L.   I have one from III 41.  It's got an odd plastic pulse pawl in it that's intended to quiet the dial.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

Quote from: bingster on February 08, 2009, 11:23:26 PM
Probably the 5L.   I have one from III 41.  It's got an odd plastic pulse pawl in it that's intended to quiet the dial.

I think that that's it. I've got two of them-I think that one has the washer, but I may be wrong on that. One is from about '41, with a number-only plate, and the other from about '48 with a number and letter plate.

Yes, both of them do have the plastic pawl, and they're very quiet. They almost sound like a #6 dial-there's no perceptible clickety-clack, just a faint whir.

Dennis Markham

That finger wheel does look like it was repainted.  It doesn't look real smooth.  There also appears to be a circle around the nut.  Maybe someone just forgot to put the spring washer back on after they painted the finger wheel.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: BDM on February 08, 2009, 08:21:36 PM
It does? How? Looks like a number card ring missing the card & plastic cover.

Or that.... :-[

D/P