News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which Would be More Appealing

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 10, 2015, 09:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have been trying to sell this phone: ebay link, but it hasn't had any bids despite numerous views and watchers.  I am wondering if the odd ABS plastic handset is scaring off potential bidders.  I have a green soft plastic parts phone with a good handset which I could transfer to this phone so that it would be all soft plastic.  Do you think that that would make this phone more appealing to collectors?

Thank You

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

I think so. I was actually planning on bidding on it, but the handset drove me away. A soft handset (and maybe different pictures) would really improve things. Taking pictures that don't look similar to these would bring people who looked at it previously back to check it out again. Posting pictures that look similar probably won't give repeat viewers a second look.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

I'm surprised someone hasn't snapped it up mainly to get the handset with shoulder rest.

It is really unusual to find a real Western Electric version in good condition.

We need to do more to cultivate more handset variation collectors!

If you replace the handset to sell the phone, it would be interesting to see if the handset alone attracts any bids.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I am cleaning up the potential replacement handset.  if I do relist the phone with the replacement handset, I will want to sell the handset separately.

Larry

andre_janew

Maybe if you lowered the starting price to $35.  That might attract more bidders and get the ball rolling. 

TelePlay

This is new to me, so, paul-f, were you being sarcastic on the "need to do more to cultivate more handset variation collectors!" comment or are the genuine WE handsets like this really collectible. You did such a good job on that post, I can read it both ways. Are they "collectible?"

Mr. Bones

Quote from: TelePlay on June 10, 2015, 10:03:10 PM
This is new to me, so, paul-f, were you being sarcastic on the "need to do more to cultivate more handset variation collectors!" comment or are the genuine WE handsets like this really collectible. You did such a good job on that post, I can read it both ways. Are they "collectible?"
Nice phone, Larry!

I received today, a 1963 WE500 for $26.39 that I bought solely because it had (what I believed to be) a 'vampire-bite' G3 with shoulder rest. I just didn't look closely enough at the pics, but I believe that I inadvertently got a great gem, instead.  ;)

I very much like your green 56, as well. 8)

My '63 turned out to have an aftermarket, clamp-on type shoulder rest, apparently able to adapt to E, F, and G-style handsets, as well as others. I will post detailed pics when I can edit them down to a manageable size...here's a link, as well as an auction pic...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131515708246

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on June 10, 2015, 10:03:10 PM

John,

I do enjoy a good joke, especially one that involves a play on words or unexpected twist.

However, this wasn't an attempt at humor.

It still amazes me that the Bell System made so many handset variations, and I find it interesting to see the subtle variations that were produced.  When you consider the cost of creating, making, stocking and maintaining each variation, it's even more astounding.

The G4 handset version also has the backstory of the Bell System continually fighting the "unauthorized attachments,"  such as the shoulder rest in Mr. Bones' post and countless others.  In providing an alternative to the non-Bell devices, they came up with a unique design.

I do know a few collectors who are working on collecting all the G handset variations and others that have specialized in trying to find all the G4 colors.  Apparently there aren't enough handset collectors to bid up the prices, though.

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on June 10, 2015, 11:39:40 PM
However, this wasn't an attempt at humor.

It still amazes me that the Bell System made so many handset variations, and I find it interesting to see the subtle variations that were produced.  When you consider the cost of creating, making, stocking and maintaining each variation, it's even more astounding.

Paul, thank for that. I didn't know but what you said makes sense. And quite a nuanced slice of phone collecting. One would really have to know about, have access to the internal catalogs and finally the desire to develop a case of "handsetitis." I know you have quite a nice section on your site dealing with handsets but no rests, at least that I could find. And the history of WE beating back the knock-offs is also new and interesting. Maybe it's just me but I'd bet this is new to over 90% of those of us who collect phones. Or maybe just me.

When I first saw Larry's listing, I questioned the inclusion of the handset with the phone. Didn't look right but didn't know what I was looking at. You are correct in saying it's an educational thing, handsets and holders and a possible new topic (  ;) ) for poplar1 to keep it all straight.

LarryInMichigan

The handset on this phone is actually marked "G3" despite the holes on top for the shoulder rest.  Did this possibly precede the G4?  The date molded into the plastic is 65 (6-65 on the receiver cap).  I wondered if this phone may have originally been a two-tone with black bakelite handset since it is dated 3-55.

I have a soft plastic green handset from 57 which is ready to go onto this phone, so I will probably terminate the listing and retry selling the phone with the other handset.  If anyone here is interested in the G3 with shoulder rest, let me know.

Thank You

Larry

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on June 11, 2015, 08:30:00 AM
I know you have quite a nice section on your site dealing with handsets but no rests, at least that I could find.

Thanks John.  I see I was overly brief when referencing the G4 in the G Handset variations chart.

The handset topic on my site has grown in a rather haphazard fashion over the years and is overdue for some tweaking.

The G4 was actually one of the first handsets I added to the site. 
    http://www.paul-f.com/handrest.htm

The photos were taken with my first digital camera, which was actually tethered to my computer and had incredibly (by today's standards) low resolution.

It was in a section called the Collector's Corner, in the days when the site was mainly photos of oddities found at flea markets.  That section is like an appendix today, and has probably outlived its usefulness.  The site evolved in a different direction.

The G4 then rated a mention in the G handsets chart.  This entry really needs a photo of the rest to draw attention to that unique feature.
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Ghandsets

Finally G handsets were positioned on the Handsets page.
  http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html

The way things are currently laid out, one needs to be really persistent to find the G4 photo!

Larry,

I don't recall seeing anything in print that would suggest they started production using a G3 model variant for the shoulder rest, but anything is possible.  If it was orderable, it should certainly be in a catalog or BSP somewhere.  It's also possible that some G3 handles were recycled into G4s at some point.

andre_janew

I don't think it is the handset that is scaring people away.  I think the starting price is just too high.  Am I the only one who noticed a $44 starting price?

LarryInMichigan

I didn't think that $44 was unreasonable for a soft plastic green 500.  If I sell it for much less, I will be taking a loss on it.  I know that many items with $.99 starting bids end up selling for alot, but I have also bought a number of items for $.99 or $1.04 from sellers who certainly didn't want to sell them for so little.

At any rate, I have already sold the handset to a forum member and plan to relist the phone with a soft plastic handset.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

I think $44 is an extremely fair price. A '55 green to me on average is worth at least double that. I think it's just because it's restored, and people who are scared that there will be bids that will drive the price up in the end pass on it. Get enough people like that, and you get an unsold item.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Larry...I always start an auction with  a minmum bid of what I'll accept for the item. I never use a reserve. If I collected 500 sets, I would have bid on it. I love the headrest. It is a really nice phone. I'd re-list it for 69.99 with a BIN for $90.99 and let it ride.....Doug
Kidphone