News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

First Post - First Rotary Phone - cgmartin9789

Started by cgmartin9789, October 13, 2011, 10:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgmartin9789

Let me start off by saying i am completely new to the world of rotary phones. That being said I recently purchased my first dial phone and need some help identifying the make and model. I have tried searching the forums but frankly have no clue what it could be. Here is the phone, as i have figured it is a pretty generic phone, something to introduce me into the world of dial phones. As I have no idea what type of phone it is i have no idea where to approach fixing the crack on the front, and if its even possible. I have attached the serial number from the bottom if that helps to identify it. Oh and if this in the completely wrong section, my apologies, please move it.

AE_Collector

Welcome to the Classic Rotary Phone Forum! Good start, you have an Automatic Electric 80 desk phone in Ebony Black made in May 1975. Everything that I can see in your picture matches the codes from the base.

NC = Type of network (version)
802 = Model 80 desk phone with type 2 (retractile vs straight) handset cord
000 = Ebony Black 00 is black and the final 0 is for other options
CSA = Metropolitan Dial (numbers AND letters), Stright line Ringer (not a frequency or party line ringer) and the ringer has a volume control Adjustment.
57510 = May 1975 and the last part 10) is not a day code but potentially a plant or shift code.

http://www.paul-f.com/AEcolors.htm

Fixing the crack in the housing is an art of its own. There are lots of discussions on the forum about such repairs but being a phone that is still readily available it might be easier to find a replacement housing for it. It might be the picture but can you tell if the phone has been repainted? Check inside the phone and inside the handset for other colors or signs of overspray.

Terry

cgmartin9789

Wow! That was unbelievably detailed, i am glad that i asked, thank you! The image did give some weird color distortions, must have been the lighting where i took the picture. As far as i can tell it is the original color and has not been sprayed. What i am assuming is that the original owner perhaps tried mending the crack with some sort of modelling plastic melt, thats what it looks like to me. Here is an up close image if you can give me a better idea of what i am dealing with.

AE_Collector

I just put "plastic repair" into the search box and came up with enough reading material to last for weeks. But as I said, there is no "put this on it and it will be as good as new" quick repair for this. You could crazy glue it and clamp the crack to gether while it dries but you will still be able to see the crack and surface damage. To fix it better you will need t ofill he crack and then sand the case wit hfiner and finer grades of sand paper and then use a buffer on it. Probably 15 to 20 hours of work but just a guess since I have never done it. Bottom line is tha tyou can probably buy another one for $10 or $15 and then you will have a parts phone as well.

Terry

Devansphones

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! I have an AE 80 from '58 and I love it, better than the WE 500, we are currently trying to find out why mine has a light socket inside it pic below) we have no idea but it seems to be factory...enough about my phone, now about you...what type of phone do you want next, mabey a 354 or a spacesaver...NAW!!! if this is your first phone I would start out kinda small like I did... get a beat up 500 and fix that, then a 554 then a 302, then a 354, a spacesaver, 202, 102 ans so on... good luck, keep posting.
~Devan

Marcelo L.

Hi, I'm new to old phones too; welcome! I got started about a week ago and have already learned a whole bunch of stuff from this forum.

It was fun being the new guy for a week, now it's your turn.  ;D

cgmartin9789

Thank you everybody for your replies. Terry, thank you for the detailed information about my phone and pointing me towards the plastic repair. Devan, i am not sure as to where i would be going with this next, where i live (vancouver, BC) it seems to be hard to find anything. I guess it is just a waiting game, a game that i thoroughly believe i will enjoy, although i can imagine it becomes consuming. Marcelo, its nice to know that i am not alone in the world of old phones. I grew up with push button phones and only heard stories my parents told about rotary phones, its nice to be able to share what they so passionately described to me as a boy.

AE_Collector

Quote from: cgmartin9789 on October 14, 2011, 08:26:31 PM
where i live (vancouver, BC)

Okay, that's going to make it real easy to get a replacement shell for your 80. I'm in Coquitlam.

Terry

HarrySmith

Hi and welcome to the forum. Being a neighbor of Terry's is going to be a good thing for you when it comes to anything AE related. A word of warning.....nevermind, it never helps, if you have gotten here it is too late! Just start looking for more space to display your collection ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"