News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

IEEE 488 standard

Started by Babybearjs, June 05, 2014, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I got a catalog in the mail today from L-COM.Com and was paging through it and found some jacks that were labled !EEE488.... they looked like a 12 pair version of the 25 pair connectors on key desk phones.... something that could have been used on ITT 576, 2576, and AE 187A telephones.... why didn't they do this way back when.... all they had to make was an adapter to go between the different jacks.... I think this would have worked out much better for the simple 3 line systems... and yet, it was never done.....
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 05, 2014, 05:47:27 PM
I got a catalog in the mail today from L-COM.Com and was paging through it and found some jacks that were labled !EEE488.... they looked like a 12 pair version of the 25 pair connectors on key desk phones.... something that could have been used on ITT 576, 2576, and AE 187A telephones.... why didn't they do this way back when.... all they had to make was an adapter to go between the different jacks.... I think this would have worked out much better for the simple 3 line systems... and yet, it was never done.....

IEEE-488 is a computer interface bus specification, not just a connector. Its forerunner was a proprietary bus developed by Hewlett-Packard even before 1970. In the 70s it became a popular instrumentation interface and so the IEEE created a standard. The connector was specifically designed for the bus using the style of D-shaped Amphenol connectors. So this was already later than the needs of the telecoms.
As the connector is specifically designed for the electrical characteristics of the bus, including the typical stacking capability, it is probably fair to say, that the electrical requirements for telephony were not as stringent, and therefore the construction of the connector might be too expensive for its requirements.

Different industries often design industry-specific connectors.

Babybearjs

yeh, and the industry keeps their designs... oh well, thank you... after seeing the connector, I remember the speakerphone connections and thought of that... you would think that a connector could be used in several different industries at once... oh well....
John