News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What are your Favorite Cars???

Started by Bill Cahill, April 17, 2009, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 26, 2013, 06:04:30 PMNow I have a Honda CRV with a 4 cylinder, so it's back to gutless, but I am still amazed at how the 4-cylinder does. 

My friend in Texas has a 4-pot Honda Accord (2.4L I think), and it's far from gutless, he's often telling me how he left "American muscle" at the lights, bearing in mind this Accord is the larger version with an american-designed Honda engine (we don't get this engine over here, and we have a different Accord, sold as the Acura TSX across the pond), and, the fuel economy is so ridiculous, with the amount of driving he does in a week, he fills the tank once a month, and yet leaves the likes of ford, chrysler/dodge and chevrolets standing at the lights whilst sipping the fuel... ;D

There have been many nice looking american cars over the years, but that's where my interest stops in them, I wouldn't want to be the owner of one, I'd rather have one of three cars, a Citroen 2CV, a Honda Accord Tourer or an original Austin Mini... :)

Phonesrfun

I have a Kymco 250 cc scooter.  It gets 75-80 mpg (32-34 km/l), although I am a fair weather motorcyclist and so it is put away for the winter.   Most people would not call that a motorcycle, although at 250 cc it does go freeway speeds.  Around town, it is perfect for commuting to/from work in the summer.

My wife has a Honda Accord with a good sized 4 cyl that is also not gutless.  It gets better gas mileage than the CRV.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

I wouldn't mind a scooter, just something to get me out of the house and not rely on buses, I keep looking at chinese scooters (many brands, same basic design), the current one I have my eyes on is a Lexmoto Gladiator (in blue), a 125cc Honda-clone engine, claims they can get 100mpg out of them, but I doubt it, but they nip along at 50mph or so (depending on if you're going downhill with the wind at your back, just like in a 2CV!!), and can get pretty high MPGs... :)

Problem with chinese scooters is you really have to be on the ball with maintenance, not to mention it's a good idea to modify them (as in, replace the stock fuel hose, tyres, valve stems, lightbulbs, wiring connections, etc.), as they're not really known for being well built... ;D

Phonesrfun

Kymco is South Korean, and I think they sent the instruction book to China for translation to English.  Good quality.  I know someone who bought a no-name Chinese scooter that came in a crate that had to be partially assembled.  They got a "good deal" on it that way.  It was a piece of junk.  Nothing seemed to fit, and the instructions for assembly did not make sense to anyone.

I have had good luck with mine.  I had a 2 stroke 50 cc before that which got stolen.  I really like the bigger one.  I think if I do sell this one some day, I will get a real motorcycle.  The small donut tires are not as stable as a bigger motorcycle tire.  The larger diameter wheels have more of a gyroscopic effect that make them more stable.  That is the one complaint I have of the scooter style at higher speeds.  It just does not feel as stable as I'd like it to be.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Yeah, some off the cheaper "great deal" scooters are not the best choice, here in the UK there's a company called Direct Bikes who imports them, an they're pretty much what you describe, arriving in a crate with chinglish instructions on how to build the thing, but Lexmoto, who buy the same bikes in, do all that work for you, so what you get delivered is usually immediately roadworthy (Taxed, MOT'd and plated), but the appeal for me is they're cheap to run, £16 a year road tax, about £200 a year insurance and the rest is fuel (though that's getting more pricey as the days go by!!)... :)

I wouldn't like to go for a full motorbike though, all too often you hear about people on motorbikes being killed due to stupid drivers not looking out for bikes, or because the bikers think it's great to scream along country roads and then wonder why they're flying through the air after slamming into a car when they're riding on the wrong side of the road... :-\

Phonesrfun

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 26, 2013, 08:23:32 PM
......after slamming into a car when they're riding on the wrong side of the road... :-\

Doesn't everyone in the UK drive on the "wrong" side?  :)
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 26, 2013, 09:03:21 PMDoesn't everyone in the UK drive on the "wrong" side?  :)

No, we drive on the correct side of the road... ;D

It's just that some motorbikers think they have to hit the apex of every corner, be it on the right or left, and usually on the right-hand side of the road they go splat on someone's bumper... :o

Phonesrfun

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 26, 2013, 09:44:03 PM
No, we drive on the correct side of the road... ;D

At least I can accurately say that we drive on the right side of the road
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 26, 2013, 09:54:35 PMAt least I can accurately say that we drive on the right side of the road

On the right, which isn't the correct side... :P

Phonesrfun

I went to England once, and even though I didn't drive while I was there, it was the strangest thing to get used to looking to the right, and then the left before crossing a street.  Probably a good thing I didn't try to drive.  A few years ago, I lent my car to someone visiting Seattle from London.  He had never driven over here.  He said he only got screwed up while trying to make turns.

Fortunately the car came back in one piece.  Oh, and he said it was the darndest thing that every time he went for the turn signal, the wipers turned on  :)

-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, we went from talking about our favorite cars, to the SVT Raptor, to snow plows, to engine sizes, to engine development, to a 1957 chevy, to a 1964 mustang, to a 2000 mustang, to Honda CRVs, to Honda Accords, to scooters, to Chinese scooters, to England, to driving on the opposite side of the road. Now I want to know your thoughts about creepy cats... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 27, 2013, 12:02:23 AM
Now I want to know your thoughts about creepy cats... ;D

The creepy ones are pretty creepy.  Especially if they drive a Chinese scooter on the wrong side of the road in England, if you know what I mean.
-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Now you're getting it! Especially if the creepy cat's Chinese scooter dies in the middle of the wrong side of the road in England and gets hit by a Raptor-stang with a rusty snow plow.

I wouldn't want to try to explain that one to my insurance company...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

twocvbloke

And I thought I was the one on the liquor...

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 27, 2013, 01:17:35 AM

And I thought I was the one on the liquor...
Even with that, guys, he still drives on the "right" side of the road, only occasionally forgetting whether he is in the UK or America! SS  :o

What is this? >> the pub crawl???

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001