News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Vintage Item Quiz

Started by 19and41, June 07, 2018, 03:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Here in the UK, our traditional glass milk bottles looked like these (Left to Right, Skimmed, Semi-skimmed, and Full-fat):

AE_Collector

Agree with most comments here. I missed two, the button hook (spun the wheel and...lost) and .... oh yes, the answering machine. I decided to go with voice recorder as it looked a bit more office like than answering machine like as I recall them and I assumed they meant dictation machine. But, I lost!

Several other oddities..as mentioned already, it was difficult to push the "rotary dial phone" answer button on that plastic push button 302!

Then they called that Alai 8 track player/recorder actape recorder. Yeah but... 8 track would have been MUCH more fitting for the quiz. Incidentally I had an Akai 8 track recorder almost identical to that and it was awesome! When an 8 track tape started to seize up in the car deck the Akai would turn it no problem to record a copy and put it back into a blank 8 track for the car.

So the quiz rushes over the 8 track as a "tape recorder" then they get all specific in the video game console! Not my specialty but by process of elimination (and some luck) I got it right. Atari.

Had absolutely no idea what the "Hackling"? Thing was..,straightening out hay to bale or stack maybe...never heard of before but I lucked out and guessed correctly on this one too!

I expected to get milk bottle wrong as it did look different than I recall but it was a milk bottle. Looked more like the British bottles twocv posted above. On a trip to England in 1971 or 1974 (went in 71, 74 & 77 with a Legion concert, marching, dance bands or a month each time...GREAT FUN!), can't recall what town we were in but some of us up early wandering the streets (8 hours jet lag) and the milk man comes along with a horse drawn cart still! We bought a bottle of milk each for 5 or 10P each right if the wagon....the things one remembers!

Quiz put together by someone a fair bit younger than me (and Harry :) )

Terry

19and41

This bottle has the top like most US dairies used.  This is a small single serving bottle of the type we had with school lunches.  It was sealed with a cardboard disk.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

AL_as_needed

Missed one (voice recorder vs answering machine... as they look about the same)

Other than that, is it sad that I own/use most of the items they showed on a regular basis...?
TWinbrook7

FABphones

Quote from: 19and41 on June 08, 2018, 10:33:23 PM
I believe European milk bottles had a narrow neck....

UK milk bottles - the tall narrow neck was on one pint bottles of Steralised Milk.

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 08, 2018, 11:47:31 PM
Here in the UK, our traditional glass milk bottles looked like these (Left to Right, Skimmed, Semi-skimmed, and Full-fat):

...and Gold Top. Extra cream for the birds to peck at.  :)

——-

Today, the link worked (EU).

I got 4 wrong (inc the lamp and heckling).

I confess, I actually have and use several of those items.....  8)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

mr_a500

I got 100%.

I'd be shocked if anyone couldn't figure out VHS tape or VCRs. DVD only came out in 1996 and most people still had VCRs and large VHS collections for a decade after that (I still have 2 VCRs). You'd have to be pretty young not to see one, but even then there are many examples in 80's/90's movies and TV shows.

Key2871

I'm not that young that I don't remember the milk man bringing bottles of milk to the back door putting them in the metal box they provided..
Wax milk cartons at school.
Even the soda truck stopping by to get empty cases of bottles and leaving the new order of soda pop.
Days gone for ever now.
KEN

Babybearjs

funny quiz...missed 3 out of 50, so I'm a bit rusty on some stuff... or I really didn't know what it was...
John

SUnset2

One morning last week as I was heading off to work, I saw the milkman making a delivery at one of our neighbor's houses.  So the service is still available if you want it.  It's just cheaper to pick it up at the supermarket.  They don't use Divco trucks anymore, though.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: mentalstampede on June 08, 2018, 12:12:36 AM
It's a modern "pushbutton" copy of a 302. So not a rotary phone at all, really.

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 09, 2018, 01:11:23 AM
Several other oddities..as mentioned already, it was difficult to push the "rotary dial phone" answer button on that plastic push button 302!

They must have changed it because the phone on there now appears to be a WE 5302:

< 09-17-21: edited to add externally linked image >