News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Won a 1555B on E-Bay

Started by McHeath, October 04, 2009, 12:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

So I threw in one bid in the last couple of minutes, never thought I'd win it.

http://tinyurl.com/ye4x5wo ( dead link 08-04-21 )

I hope it's as good as it looks, it will add to my growing collection of 10 buttons.

JimH

Great find at a great price for a pristine ten-button!  You usually can't touch those for under $100!  That one flew under my radar.
Jim H.

bwanna

very nice, heath :)  i was on ebay yesterday & missed that one. probably would not have bid on it any way.

did you check out that seller's website?
http://tinyurl.com/ybslluw
wish i lived in MN. not really. but i would like to visit that store. ;D

post a pic of your ten button "family" when the new addition arrives. ;)
donna

McHeath

Oops, it's a 1554 not 1555.  It was late when I typed that in.

Got home late last night and went to look at that auction to see what insane price it had gone for.  I was expecting it to go for between 100 and 300 clams, depending on how badly a few poeple fought over it.  

Low and behold the auction had 5 minutes left and no bids.  So I threw in a 60 dollar bid, no way that would win I figured, and watched the clock count down.  Nothing happened.  Figured that when the last 10 seconds hit all the snipers would come out, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.  Nothing.

I was shocked.  

Going to have to get a back plate for it to mount it on the wall, and it needs some polish I think, but otherwise I'm very pleased.

If it arrives intact.

bwanna I did look at their other stuff and site, would be worth a visit eh?  My 10 button familia is small, only a 1500 and now this one, but I plan on growing it with trying to find examples of the Trimline and Princess as well.  

gpo706

I like it!

Do you really need these so called "backplates", I screwed my 554 straight into the wall no problems.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

McHeath

Not sure what the point of that backplate is.  Perhaps to cover up a mess from an earlier install of a 554, as the footprint of the 1554 is much smaller.  Anyone know?

bingster

Could be.  I think that's the standard 354/554 size backplate, so even if you don't use it with this phone, it'll come in handy if you get a green 554.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Excellent buy, McHeath!  We are all moss green with envy.
-Bill G

gpo706

GPO wallsets meant to have what they call a "T bar" to mount the chassis onto, after reading a manual online, the only reason you would need one is ease of installation, as if you align the T bar on the wall makes it easier to mount the phone as there is some leaway to get the phone sitting plumb on the horizontal.

Other than that never had one, never used one, the 311/706 convertion just took a spirit level and a bit of screw adjustment to sit fine, same with my 554.

Yet folks persist on ebay making a great deal of the fact that the item they are selling comes with "ORIGINAL T-BAR TO MOUNT ON THE WALL"!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dennis Markham

Heath, I don't have one of those smaller wall phones so I'm not sure about your back plate, but it looks like it is just missing the plastic sliding modular plug that would fit in the vertical rectangular opening.  It has the round opening at the upper right and lower left (looking at the photo of the back of the phone).

Here is one that PhoneCo sells.  It just snaps into place and the leads are connected to the network with spade tips.  However, I don't know if the network on that model of phone has screws on the network or the later connectors.

http://www.phonecoinc.com/category.asp?rpage=search&category=Jack#01002

Look at the first part on the left side of the page.  Part #923A.

Once that accessory is added to the back plate of the phone you bought, you should be able to locate the male end into the opening on your wall jack and mount it just like the modular 554's.