News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pair of Western Electric D1/202 Sets

Started by Ed Morris, January 28, 2018, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

I found two WE D1/202 sets on Goodwill's auction site, both from the same store, and won both.  One has the E-1 handset, and the other an F-1 handset.  The set with the E-1 handset appears a little rougher, is missing the dial card retainer, and will need a set of cords.  The other set is in better shape and I  think the cloth cords can be salvaged.

Here is the information for both:

D1/202 with E-1 Handset

Base dated I-36
Dial: 4H, dated I-32
E-1 Handset
  Receiver: 557B, dated IV-37
  TX: F1 dated 4-48

D1/202 with F-1 Handset

Base dated IV-35
Dial: 5H dated 4-49
F1 Handset
  Receiver: HA1 dated 11-24-41
  TX: F1 dated 10-47

Ed

AL_as_needed

Nice finds! I like the old dial card, paired with the chrome rings, a classy touch.

How much did it cost to get these into your hands?
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

Agreed...love the dial card...nice 4H as well.....Doug
Kidphone

Butch Harlow

Nice finds! I definitely love the sound of the 4h dial. Getting an E1 handset completely apart can be a royal pain. But a nice rubber strap wrench will solve that problem.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

Good for you! If you have the patience to deal with the outdated Goodwill website you deserve the fruits of your labor!

Enjoy!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Ed Morris

Goodwill auctions are getting as pricey as eBay, although I still find some good bargains.  But these went high.  The D1 with the E-1 handset went for $46.  The D1 with F-1 and the cool dial card went for $80.  I had only intended to bid on the E-1.set, but couldn't resist the dial card on the F-1 set, and the cords all looked good.

I have cleaned and polished the E-1 set, and cleaned and lubricated the 4H dial, which seems to be working smoothly now.  I'm waiting on a set or cords and new dial ring.

I can't test it yet as I need to make a subset.  I've got a couple old Princess 702B bases I thought get I might see if I could make a subset from one.

BTW, Goodwill has significantly revamped their auction site recently.
Ed

Ed Morris

Butch, I was able to get the E-1 spit cup off by wrapping some masking tape around the spit cup and using a rubber gripper cloth (see photo above)

I removed the 4H dial as it would barely rotate.  I cleaned the dial mechanism with contact cleaner, which freed it up quickly.  I lightly oiled the mechanism.
The fingerwheel was bent.  I straightened it between two pieces of hardwood by tapping with a hammer.  Here are some photos of the 4H dial:

Ed

Ed Morris

I finished up one of the D1/202 phones today, and it works well!  I don't have a subset for it yet, but I made a cheater subset to test it.  I posted some information on the cheater subset in the Technical Stuff forum.

I washed the base and handset with Simple Green.  For the base, which has about 80% to 90% of its original finish, I polished and buffed it with Carnauba Wax, which brought out a nice shine.  I buffed the handset with Novus 2, then applied a final layer of Carnauba Wax. 

Ed

Pourme

Good job, Ed. That looks really nice! Congrats on your purchase, another nice phone preserved!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Ed....that is beautiful! Outstanding job. Did you use a 302 base for the subset? They do a really nice job....fantastic 202 and I love the dial card...Doug
Kidphone

Ed Morris

I made a cheater subset just for testing while I'm waiting for a WE 684 subset I found on eBay to arrive.  There's a description of the cheater subset and couple photos in the Techical Stuff forum:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19732.0
Ed

Butch Harlow

That really is a beauty, Ed. I love the dial card. Now you need to rustle up a decent 684 subset for the complete effect. I will keep my eyes peeled for you.
Butch Harlow

Ed Morris

Butch, thanks, but I have one on the way.  Found it on eBay.  Hopefully it works as seller says it is "untested."
Ed

Butch Harlow

It's unlikely that it's broken, unless it was messed with. WE was built for forever. I have 2, one was really ugly, so I took a chance on it. Works perfect.  :)
Butch Harlow

Ed Morris

My 684BA subset arrived yesterday, and I hooked up the D1/202 phone with E-1 handset to it.  I first connected it to a BK 1045 tester.  The subset would ring, but I got no dial tone, although the dial registered correctly on the tester.  I hooked the phone to my house line, and still no dial tone.

My mounting cord for the D1/202 with the E-1 handset is a three wire cord, red/green/yellow.  Since the phone worked properly on my "cheater subset" as described above, I figured the problem was with the subset.

The first thing I did was add a jumper from BK on the 202 dial to BK on the 684 subset.  Still, NO DIAL TONE.

The second step was to check the 2uF capacitor.  It tested 0 capacitance.  So I temporarily tacked in a 2uF capacitor, and voila!  The phone works!  I got a dial tone, the phone rings, and it dials out.  I've ordered some 2uF caps rated at 250 volts, so when they arrive, I will permanently repair the 684 subset.

So, it appears that the D1/202 phone won't work with the 684 subset with a three wire mounting cord?  A four wire cord is required, with red/green/yellow, and the black lead from dial BK to subset BK?

Ed