News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS WE 117C 3F Spacesaver

Started by Doug Rose, October 05, 2016, 07:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this last week and got it yesterday. I was surprised it went so low. Now the dilemma, try to fit it in the phone room or pass it on to another collection....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Wow!...Another one I didn't see....Nice find, gotta be a keeper!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

The labeling of the box with  I 17 C as a replacement for 211A is curious of course.
So is the presence of unjacketed wiring with only two conductors.  It appears to be intended to be mounted for some kind of predetermined application.
Perhaps this is the reason that the box was relabeled, not as a telephone type, but as some kind of kit of components for
some purpose designated as I 17C.

What is the handset mounting code on the housing?   G1 ?

poplar1

Is it I 17 C 3F or 117C 3F?
C=dial with letters and numbers
3 = --3 = black
F = F-type handset

211C 3F would usually be written as 211C--3F so perhaps it is a 117C--3F.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Karl/David was a G1 new vermilion G3
Kidphone

unbeldi

AFAIK, a G3 was never used for a 211-type telephone set, but for a 213.  I think the purpose was as a 2nd (extension) telephone wired to an anti-sidetone subset so the the extension phone did not require a second subset.  This required extra switching in the hook with AST circuits.

There was a 116A and a 117C hand telephone, but I don't have any descriptions of them and there was no replacement for them.

poplar1

Here is a list of 201s, 211s, 212s, 213s and 214s; not including those used with network-type subsets (685A):
http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3290-c32-104-i3-hand-telephone-sets-hanging-type-description-tl

According to this NYT Addendum (last page), the 213 had to be rewired in order to use two phones on a single anti-sidetone subset. The RR and BL contact springs were used to open the connection between R on the induction coil and the red handset conductor. Otherwise, the transmitters of both phones would be active whenever either phone was off-hook, since normally the black and red handset wires are always directly to BK and R in the subset.
http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3482-c63-323-ia-hand-telephone-set-connections-cb

The D8 hand set mounting (215A, B, C, D) was also used for connecting two hand telephone sets to one anti-sidetone subset. In this desk model, the extra contacts were labeled R and RH (Fig. 6 of C63.323 above).

According to this index dated 1962, 213s are also listed in C38.365, C38.367 and C38.493, but I don't see these newer sections in the TCI library.
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps/by-division-number/index-gen-l-info/doc_details/11889-c16-002-i7-jun62-numerical-index-issue-7-june-1962-ocr-op-r

A single G-3 mounting could also be used with a 685A. The black handset wire was connected to BL and the R terminal was connected to B on the 425-type network.
http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2779-502-320-413-i1-service-213b-c-e-hand-telephone-sets-tl

Greg G.

They don't call it a "spacesaver" for nothing, got to be some room somewhere!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

The title now states  "117C".  I would label it as  G3 handset mounting with F handset.

I don't think this is a 117C.  It's not even clear that this is what the box imprint states.  It certainly reads like I 17C, but such misprints are not uncommon. We have seen other weird markings, and I think I have boxes were letters or digits were printed backward.

But in any case, I don't think the box actually belongs to its contents.

A 117C seems to have existed into those times when coiled spring cords were available, as the replacement for the 117C was a 117CR.

poplar1

The box is stamped "JAN 25 1949." Are any of the manufacture or refurb/conversion dates close to that?
Transmitter, Receiver, handset handle, cord restraint, mounting, dial, number plate all have at least one date.

Doug Rose

I opened the handset 2/14/48 receiver   2/48 Transmitter. I am not sure if I am keeping it so I am not going to open it. Sh*t Do Happen. This has a NOS cloth cord on it, it has been remarked G3 in Vermilion,  in the pictures I have shown. I received it in this box. This auction went the full 7 days.

Best I can do.

The Museum didn't want it. I am not sure if I do or not as I already own a NOS Space Saver. Might sell....might not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222254698165?

Vacation is over and back to work tomorrow. Heavy sigh    :(   .....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Those 1948 dates are not inconsistent with a January, 1949 conversion.

Doug Rose

Seller got the phone from his boss. His father was a Bell System Engineer....Doug
Kidphone