News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cracked ABS housing repair?

Started by poplar1, August 16, 2012, 12:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Does anyone repair Princess housings that are cracked? I have some I want to have painted but the painters don't do repairs. I am willing to pay reasonable amount for time and materials. Thanks in advance.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Is it worth it to pay someone to repair cracks if you are going to paint them? Must be lots of badly discolored housings out there that aren't cracked that could be painted. Maybe they are somewhat rare colors that you want to have painted the same color?

Terry

AE40FAN

I would try super glue and wet sanding first!  Not sure why you'd want to paint it?

poplar1

A friend who sells phones at antique shows wants some pink Princess and can't afford to pay $175 Ebay prices for them. He says that discolored phones regardless of color and beige ones (even in mint condition) don't sell at all. So I figured why not paint the  beige and faded ones pink?

I'd also be interested in purchasing some uncracked Princess shells either rotary or Touch-Tone.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on August 16, 2012, 06:13:54 PM
So I figured why not paint the  beige and faded ones pink?

. . . and then the antique show buyer, who thinks they got a great deal on the phone compared to eBay prices, puts the pink Princess up on eBay with one of us buying it at some exorbitant price only to discover upon receipt that it's been painted, and we ask for our money back . . .   ::) ;D

AE40FAN

Yeah, I would say most people wouldn't be too happy to have a painted phone.  Chances are if it is badly faded/cracked it will need a lot more work than just a coat of paint.  I didn't get that nice white pretty shiny dial on my princess refurbs using just soap and water!

AE_Collector

Quote from: AE40FAN on August 16, 2012, 08:08:49 PM
I didn't get that nice white pretty shiny dial on my princess refurbs using just soap and water!

Oh I'm not so sure. Lots of phones seen on ebaY state that they just need a good cleaning. :)

Terry

AE40FAN

poplar1

AE40fan, I agree that a painted phone is not as desirable (particularly to  us collectors) as an original. I also agree that if the phone housing is in bad shape, then the dial may be also. On the other hand, my friend has a good number of Princess phones with missing housings or housings that are cracked, faded or beige. I'm just going by what he told me that  unless the whole phone is equally discolored/faded (as the aqua blue changes to green and white to off-white) or a color other than beige, most of his customers don't want them. On the other hand they seem to be willing to pay more for red or pink phones than any other color and painting doesn't seem to bother them. He did say that rotary phones are more popular than Touch-Tone. I think retail customers are more concerned with a "good looking" phone than one that is all original but not attractive.

AE40FAN

Poplar, I am sure there is a market for painted phones. As long as the buyer is aware. I do agree that red/pink phones do fetch much higher prices.  BTW, I will gladly take any faded/cracked white/acqua phones off of your hands!!