News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Gong support

Started by belljaf, August 17, 2012, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belljaf

Received a base for what I thought was a WE302 but actully might be a WE304 and the ringer, a B2A1, has been bent in one corner and I am interested in bending it back to a flush position.  As a result the gong is up and back a little as the picture higlights.  Any thoughts about heating the ringer up to make it abit more pliable.

HowardPgh

I would bend it cold, heat would de-magnetize it.
Howard
Howard

AE_Collector

Sorry, CRPF "Ringer Gong Support" has been outsourced to India, Please hold......

Terry

poplar1

Once you get it bent back you may also want to loosen the tension on the biasing spring which is in the highest of 3 settings right now. Try moving it to the middle notch.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Anyone want to take a guess at how that ringer got bent without damaging the phone, or the gong?

dencins

I have seen ringer brackets bent like that on other 302's.  If I remember correctly they were always B2A1 ringers.  I am wondering if this was deliberate to make the ring sound different.  Possibly two lines going into the same area and this would give a different ring sound for the second line?

Dennis Hallworth

TelePlay

That makes sense. Would be interesting if "belljaf" could get an audio recording of the bell as it is, bent, and then one after it is straightened. Then put it somewhere with a link for us to listen to the comparison.

poplar1

I don't see the connection between B2A ringers and having more than one line. If anything, the opposite would be true: the 304 set with B2A ringer was used on party lines. It is doubtful that someone would have multiple party lines in the same office.

Other ways of distinguishing which line was ringing was to use different pitched gongs, sawing a slot in one or more gongs, and using the thing that snaps on between the gongs (sorry, don't remember the name of it right now).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dennis Markham

I've seen those ringer brackets bent on 5302 model phones.  The frame hindered the "volume selector" so it was bent out of the way to allow movement.

dencins

I agree with Dennis M.  Now that he has mentioned it that is also where I have seen the bent brackets.

Dennis Hallworth

belljaf

In fact, and I should have mentioned it before, the bent bracket was where the volume modulator was screwed into the base and the bracket.  Having read the comments, of which I am thankful for, I will be taking the first comment with me to the vice grip and ever so gentle tap the bracket back into place or not since I order the base with the hope that it was an actual WE 302 as was stated on the EBAY site and not a WE 304.  I am attempting to renovate a 1946 WE 302 and perhaps I should just save the 304 bracket and all the other components that came with it in case I come across a WE 304 in need of help.

Bill