News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

bwanna's eclectics

Started by bwanna, September 09, 2009, 09:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Once I'm iin my new apartment, I will take pics of all my dishes.  I just bought a ton of old glassware and such at St. Vinnies.  My trunk is full of the stuff!
- Tom

Dewdrop

Here's a few more pics of my collection of dishes. They are both from the 50's.

The first pic is the Ballerina pattern by Universal Potteries. Some are came from the original set my mother in law received as a wedding gift. She also gave me several pieces that came from a nearby antique shop. I've added the coffee pots, tea pots, covered casseroles, egg cups, tumblers (not pictured) and water pitcher.

The second pic is the Paden City Pottery, pattern unknown. Some of these pieces are ones that survived from my mother's set she used in the 50's. Since this picture was taken I've added a green water pitcher. The water pitchers for this pattern are the strangest looking ones I've seen. It's also easiest to spot in an antique store.

Last pic is about half of the egg vases I have collected.

Debbie
Debbie

bwanna

debbie, fantastic collections! i am a big fan of fire king jadeite i also collect the tulip bowls. you really lucked into a couple good deals. :)

did you have a chance to view my website?

donna

McHeath

Great collection!  Love the colors, bright and clean, and the nice sleek modern lines.  Those eggs are pretty fun as well, they look like they are walking about, looking for their tops.

Dewdrop

The egg vase collection all started with one that my mother gave me. Came across the second one on my way to work. I was coming down the hill after dropping the boys off at school (this was a few year ago) and I was about one block from the office. There was a yard sale. I made I quick stop and there was it was. It really snowballed after that. Lately it's really slowed down. Don't come across many that I don't already have.

Here's a couple pictures of some of the Pyrex pieces, a few Hall Superior (Jewel Tea) pieces and Solona Ware (our first set of dishes) and a closeup of three matching egg vases.

That's not all, have old milk bottles, depression glass (Mayfair pink), Creative Starburst china, fruit jars, Frankoma set of dishes and more. Looks like I could fill up a booth or two.

Will check out your website Donna.

Debbie
Debbie

JorgeAmely

Debbie:

There was a time when I remember seeing stickers on boxes of dishes at the store warning people about lead. I haven't seen that in a while. Can you comment about this?

Thanks.
Jorge

Dewdrop

The only lead I've heard about in vintage dinnerware was the Fiesta "red". I don't use any of the dishes I've collected only the "new" Fiesta for every day use. Maybe someone else is more up to date regarding lead used in today's dinnerware.

Wait, I do remember using the Creative Starburst china for Thanksgiving when my side of the family came to our house. One of my brothers was about to put the dinner plate (with food) in the microwave and I stopped him. That pattern has a silver trim on it. Those dishes are from the 60's and aren't microwave or dishwasher safe.

I've attached a picture of that pattern (not my pic, but from ebay).

Debbie
Debbie

LarryInMichigan

Debbie,

The picture you posted just brought back memories.  I think that my parents had the same set back in the 1960s/70s.

Larry

Dewdrop

That collection started from some pieces my mother gave me. My dad had a Phillips 66 station back in the 60's and they gave away a place setting (5 piece) for something. Possibly for filling up a tank or buying so many gallons of gas. I've come across several pieces since. I have the tea pot, coffee pot, covered casserole, coasters, gravy boat with plate attached, S&P, sugar & creamer. I could post a pic of those tomorrow if we don't go out of town to visit a native plants nursery. My husband loves to go there, when we get back home he's ready to plant them. I admit I enjoy it too, trying to identify the plant before looking at the name tag.

Debbie
Debbie

bwanna

jorge,  lead is a common glazing component in ceramics & pottery. in 1971 the FDA put limits on the amount of lead that could leach from any serving pieces.

http://tinyurl.com/ylejqy9

debbie, the controversy around vintage red fiesta regards uranium. prior to WWII raw uranium was used to create the vivid colors. red used the most. uranium was used in the production of the atom bomb, so during WWII the government confiscated all supplies. after that time homer laughlin & other potteries began using depleted uranium.

http://tinyurl.com/l2bam
donna