"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Garage sale finds.

Started by jiggerman, June 27, 2009, 08:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerman

Hello,
          Spent the better part of my day searching out garage sales in my area. Didn't find much until I stopped at a little church sale. Went in to one of the back rooms, it was filled with used computer and phones. I managed to pick-up four rotary phones... $2.00 each. A turquoise Northern Electric from 1963, two red Northern Electrics, one from 1967 and the other from 1975. The black phone dated 1957 on the back. I was very excited with the black 1957, I thought I had my first soft plastic phone. After opening the handset I noticed it was dated 1964, I then preceded to remove the top from the base and it was dated 1967. I was kind of disappointed at first but for $2.00  I made a good deal. I don't think there are many phone collectors in my area so I should find a soft plastic phone sometime. This is a great pastime and it doesn't cost a fortune. Thank you, Jiggerman

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/jiggermanca/churchfinds/?action=view&current=churchfind.jpg

Dan

Great finds. I wish I had yard sales like you!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Jiggerman, nice purchases.  And for only $8!  That's less than the shipping cost for one phone.  So many Northern Electrics...you must be in Canada?

There are tons of garage sales around here.  I have to admit that unless I feel a certain sale has "potential" I keep on driving.  I have struck out in newer neighborhoods---mostly children's clothing, toys, etc.  But the older neighborhoods seem to have more potential for a phone or two.  Like one of the collector's always says.....you have to kiss a few frogs to get the Prince/Princess.

jiggerman

Hello,
           You are right about the newer neighborhoods, very rarely have I found anything interesting. I find church sales are usually better, mainly because it's older people who are donating. Yeah, I'm from Quebec, Canada.... That's why all my phones are Northern Electric. It would be nice to find a few Western Electrics.  Jiggerman

McHeath

Our yard sales in this area are mostly clothes, piles and piles of clothing for all ages.  Then there might be a lot of VHS tapes, or some DVDs, a few CDs or tapes, and then some misc stuff, but very little beyond that.

Why did NE remove the word "Operator" from the dial bezels of the 500?

jiggerman

NE probably removed the word "Operator" from the dial bezels because it had to be in French ( operateur ) and English.  It was easier to simply remove it than issue it in both languages.  That's my understanding, Jiggerman

rp2813

That black one looks like it still has the suede feet, which is always a good thing.  You can't go wrong at $2 each.

Ralph
Ralph

McHeath

Ah, the French and English law in Canada, that makes sense as to why they'd remove the word Operator from the phones.  I assume that dialing an "0" in Canada connected you to the operator?