News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 after a little polish

Started by BDM, March 01, 2009, 01:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Well, after a few hours on the buffer using Novus #2, it's starting to look pretty good. This phone was grungy. The handset has a feel like sand paper from all the years of built up crap. Now it's looking good, and feeling smooth. I'm not done with this set, as I want to go over again simply hand rubbing it. Also, the metal handle needs to be re-painted, and I'm looking for a chrome dial. Maybe even the handset chrome bands if I can find a set. Last, needs a new base gasket, this one is trashed. Oh, I replaced the rural dial plate with an urban version ;D Sorry, these aren't great pics. Wish I could show the before and after a little more dramatically.

P.S., for those who pay attention to every detail in a pic, pay no attention to the date. Obviously way off :-X

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Very nice, Brain, and what a difference a good cleaning and polishing can do.  They do have the chrome banded handset caps, dials and handles at OPH, as you probably well know.  I found a pair of the chrome caps on Ebay a while back.

Dan/Panther

Brian;
Nice work, 40's rank up as one of my favorites.
I bought mine about 6 months ago, and it was nice and smooth and shiney, after using itr I found out it had been painted. It's still smooth underneath, really don't know why it was painted ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Looking great!  Polishing can work miracles with old phones.  (and probably lots of other things eh?)

BDM

Thanks guys. Dan (D/P), I've really warmed up to the AE40. I like it's ring, it's feel. It looks good polished up. Works quite well to boot ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Brian, that phone looks very nice.  The AE 40 really has a nice ring to them.  I found a handset with the chrome bands on eBay.  I didn't know at the time that the ones with chrome bands also had the chrome/metal finger wheels.  If you watch for them you'll see that they generally go for a bit more money.  If you wait for one you can find a good deal now and then.  Yours looks great.

For those looking for dial card retainer rings for the Automatic Electric phones, there is an ebay seller that goes by adele0283.  She has some outstanding original Automatic Electric dial cad retainer rings and cards that she sells.  I recently bought some from her and was very happy.  Here are her current listings.  She shows a generic photograph of the retainer rings/cards but will send something nice.  She and her husband have been collectors for years.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZadele0283 ( dead link 05-13-21 )

mienaichizu

Dan/Panther

Brian;
I notice a kink in the handset cord that didn't appear before the cleaning. Straighten it out it's driving me nuts.... :o :o :o
Is that just me, or does everyone have that neet cord "gene" ? My kids think I'm nuts, I have to have the cords lay, in an even pattern so as not to show gaps, or weird angled twists..  ??? ??? ???
D/P

BDM

Dan, that's actually a replacement cord from another set. Remember, this was the set that had the rotting wire handset cord. There are a few I need to shake bake and put out in the cold. This is one. I'll get around to it ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

Did you replace the dial ? Your old one had no letters.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

Quote from: Dan on March 02, 2009, 10:27:03 PM
Did you replace the dial ? Your old one had no letters.

Yup, I mentioned that in my post. I installed the rural plate on another set.

EDIT: WHOOOPS, I didn't mention it. Silly me. Thought I posted that fact, but I've been called out ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Br5ian;
You did mention changing the dial plate.

"Oh, I replaced the rural dial plate with an urban version"
D/P

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 02, 2009, 11:39:50 PM
Br5ian;
You did mention changing the dial plate.

"Oh, I replaced the rural dial plate with an urban version"
D/P

What? Did I edit that out somewhere ??? Maybe I need to rest my head :-X
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

I have an AE40 with the chrome bands. It's easily to me, my prettiest phone, and definately the most heavy. I think they were made better than WE's (avoids a shoe toss from a reporter...)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Now what would REALLY be nice is to have one in color with gold bands.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/ae/ae40.html