News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1940 we 302 no dial tone (FIXED!)

Started by Dave Beck, January 31, 2014, 01:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

I just restored a 1940 302 and having problems. I can call the phone and it rings and transmits but no dial tone  and can't hear anything through the receiver. I took the phone apart to repaint the metal case. Is there supposed to be a gasket of some kind under the dial? Seems like I remember a paper gasket but when I removed the dial it fell apart. I have gone over the wiring diagrams a hundred times and everything seems to be wired correctly. I also checked connections on the transmitter and receiver to make sure the tabs were connecting, checked good.

I am attaching some pictures of the wiring on the phone. All help and comments welcome.

poplar1

Try temporarily moving the receiver wire from W on dial to GN on the induction coil.

(This is assuming that the brown-yellow conductor is connected to W inside the handset.)

302s originally had a 59A dial adapter, which is a rubber gasket, between the dial and the housing.  Without the 59A, the holes in the housing are too large for the 4-36 dial screws.
It appears that someone added the 3 metal washers to compensate for the missing 59A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave Beck

What will moving the white wire do? and yes the brown yellow is used for the white wire.

So the gasket is just such, a gasket and not an insulator?

poplar1

Moving the receiver wire to GN bypasses the hookswitch (Green and Brown-Blue conductors) and the normally closed W and BB contact springs of the dial.

Yes, it's a gasket and not an insulator.

Dave Beck

so by moving the wire and the phone receives a dial tone that would indicate a problem with the hook switch?

Dave

HarrySmith

Did you take the switch pile-ups apart to clean them? Both sets of contacts do not look quite right. I am at work and do not have a 302 to compare with. Maybe somebody else can scrutinize the setup on the contacts?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tallguy58

Hey Harry:

What are you doing on the internet at work??  ;) ;) :-X
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

Quote from: Dave Beck on January 31, 2014, 03:13:22 PM
so by moving the wire and the phone receives a dial tone that would indicate a problem with the hook switch?

Dave

Dial and/or hookswitch. Did you try it?

Dave Beck

I tried moving the white wire to the gn terminal and still no dial tone.

poplar1

Could be the receiver unit, the handset cord, or the induction coil.

Do you have a dial tone if you connect the brown-yellow (white) and brown-red (red) handset wires directly to L1 and L2?

Dave Beck

tried putting white and red to line still no dial tone, that should tell me it is in the receiver correct?
Dave

Dave Beck

If I cannot get this working is there someone I could send it to that would fix it for me. I am retired so would need a fair price on the repair.....limited income at this house hold.

Dave

poplar1

It's probably an open receiver or an open handset cord. Since you said the phone was transmitting, that means that the "red" (brown-red) and "black" (brown-green) wires are good. So, you could now substitute the "black" wire for the "white"--i.e. connect W and R inside the handset to L1 and L2 using the black and red wires instead of the white and red.

This should tell you if it's a defective receiver or defective cord (hopefully, not both).

You might also check the distance between the contact springs that press against the receiver. Sometimes they are misaligned. (A picture might help.)

HarrySmith

Where are you located Dave?

I am on the computer all day at work so I check in once in a while ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: Dave Beck on January 31, 2014, 05:28:02 PM
If I cannot get this working is there someone I could send it to that would fix it for me. I am retired so would need a fair price on the repair.....limited income at this house hold.

Dave

If we can isolate the trouble, it may be easier just to send you a replacement part rather than ship the phone both ways.