News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First Wooden Crank Phone

Started by Schmelz3, June 25, 2019, 12:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Pretty nice single box, looks like all the parts are there.  The gongs would have originally been nickeled (you can see traces around the hole and the back is still nickeled) although possibly painted black at a later date.  You could have the bells re-nickeled or (probably cheaper) buy a pair that still retains it's nickel plating. The wood looks pretty good and should clean up nicely.  Are you going to restore the finish?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

I have this magneto that's nickle plated, it's marked SA. I used to know the manufacturer but I forget it now. Does anyone happen to know who made it. Seems it's a foreign company. It was originally in my WE317E wooden phone, but I have since replaced it with the WE magneto.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

SA Swedish-America(n) can't remember which.
is my immediate  guess.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Yes, that does sound very familiar.
I Googled it a dozen different ways couldn't find it again.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Schmelz3

The wood needed a lot of cleaning. I used mineral spirits to clean off all the dirt and grime. The original finish was in fair condition. Rather than strip the wood and refinish the box I used a product called  "Restor A Frinish"  that comes in different colors for different types of wood. Oak, walnut, cherry etc. I use it on antique wood radios and it works great to bring back the original looking finish and cover up defects without all the trouble of stripping the wood etc.