"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 554 wall phone

Started by wideawakefl, February 01, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideawakefl

Good afternoon,

I just bought a Kellogg 554 aqua color wall phone from 1958. There is no wire coming out of it to connector it to the wall connector. Does anyone know how to open this phone? I can't figure out how to open it. There must be something I am missing. Also, what color wires go to which connector on the network? As that is my goal, to get it working. Please help.

Thanks,

Gary

G-Man

See if this helps...

jsowers

Connecting the phone line is easy. Polarity doesn't really matter on a 554, but normally red was connected to L2 and green was connected to L1. Those screws are at the bottom left of the network. I attached a picture with arrows representing the color pointing to the screws. I also attached a closeup of the bottom so you can see the latch location.

The phone line either needs to be routed through the small hole in the bottom (see attached picture) or through a hole in the back if necessary. The cover goes back on starting with the top first, getting the tab on the metal base inserted into the hole in the metal piece on the cover. Sometimes the switchhook gets in the way. Just push it down and the housing should go on OK. It shouldn't be in a bind anywhere and should click to latch at the bottom.
Jonathan

G-Man

Connections

G-Man

I should add...

The "trick" to removing the case is to push the lower-housing towards the base-plate and then press the release tab.

wideawakefl

Thanks for your help.....I got it open. Do I need to connect the yellow wire or just the red and green?

G-Man

The yellow wire was once connected to the "G" terminal for party-line ringing and is no longer used. If your set doesn't ring once it is connected, make sure the four ringer wires are connected as shown in the diagram. Often, the ringer's black wire is terminated on the "G"-terminal. If so, then move it to the "L1" terminal as shown in the diagram.

IF you find that the ringer's red and black wires are transposed on terminals "L1" and "L2" don't be concerned since it will not make a difference. Same with the slate (gray) and slate/red wires and the "A" and "K" terminals.

HarrySmith

Hi Gary. Welcome! I see you have already gotten the info you needed. Isn't this forum fantastic? Your screen name suggests you are in Florida, where about? I am in Coral Springs. There was just a show in Maitland this weekend, did you know about it? Held every January.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wideawakefl

Thanks. Yes, this is a great forum. Fast correct answers. Yes, I am in Florida. I used to live in South Florida, I now live in Maitland, and yes, I was at the telephone show on Saturday. That is where I got the Kellogg phone.

HarrySmith

I was at the show also, I go every year as it is the only show even somewhat close to me. Only a 3 hour drive! I got some good deals on some nice phones as usual. Maybe we will see each other there next year!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"