News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 302 not Dialing Out, ( Resolved )

Started by caz3057, February 29, 2016, 02:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caz3057

The "Jig-a-loo" silicone that I used is different from other silicone based spray lubes in that it is a pure silicone base with no grease, oil, wax or detergents. That is why I started using it years ago on treadmill belts and things of that nature where a wet "vehicle" could cause dust/dirt collection issues. Just tested finger wheel return speed again and it is still perfect. I do still need to find a source for the missing brass washer that goes under the cam. I could make one from shim stock but I'm not sure about correct size or thickness. I assume that the I.D. of the washer is suppose to fit the O.D. of the bushing the pawl sits on? Not having any other 6A dials here there is nothing to reference. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks again to all who have responded.

unbeldi

Are you talking about this washer?

I tried to high-light it with an arrow.  Look at the picture in high resolution.

This is a dial from 1953.

I am looking for pics of later dials.  I think it is entirely possible that the washer was eliminated later.  Several parts of the No. 6 dial were replaced with polymers over the years for better durability and quieter operation.

caz3057

Yes, That is what I thought was missing but I have not been able to locate a parts breakdown for a 6A dial of this age.

unbeldi

I have now found a picture of a 1968 dial.
The plastic cover is still on, but luckily the cam is clearly visible.
It appears to me that the washer is no longer brass, but plastic or perhaps even missing.
The dial is a replacement in a green thermoplastic 302.

unbeldi

Here is another one.  A 1971 6U dial, New old stock, in original box.

Certainly no brass washer, but perhaps plastic?

unbeldi

Here is another, an F-56661 of 1969, which would be a 6T dial a year or two later.  Also NOS.

caz3057

I believe you are correct in thinking that they eliminated that washer by adding a shoulder to the base of the cam. If you go back and look at some of the dial pictures I posted earlier you can see a very small shoulder on the base of the cam on my dial. The O.D. of that shoulder does look to be a little smaller than the cam pictures you posted of later dials. In researching answers to the former problem I came across a 6A parts diagram that someone had posted on this forum but I think it was the original style that included the washer but did not show a shoulder on the cam. Not sure where I saw it now.

unbeldi

Yes, I was looking at that detail in your picture, but couldn't decide if that was just a grease trace, a plastic washer, or a rim.  In my pictures I am still unclear as well, as I haven't actually opened those dials, and not really looked at them since cataloging the pictures.

caz3057

It definitely is a shoulder that is part of the cam on mine. Must have been a change they made about the same time they started staking the gear retainer plate to the standoffs instead of using screws like the earlier styles. I will consider this question of missing parts resolved. Once again, thank you very much for all of your feedback. Darn it, now that all of my phones are working I'm going to have to find some more old ones to work on!!!

caz3057

I do have two more quick questions. I noticed after making my initial posts it never showed as a new post in the subject list. Did I not do something right? Also is there a way to mark this discussion as "Resolved" in order to help others in the future?

unbeldi

Quote from: caz3057 on March 01, 2016, 01:47:26 PM
I do have two more quick questions. I noticed after making my initial posts it never showed as a new post in the subject list. Did I not do something right? Also is there a way to mark this discussion as "Resolved" in order to help others in the future?

Well, I did notice your post as new, otherwise I would not have found it so quickly.  I think, new posts are not actually marked as 'new' in a global sense, only as 'unread' relative to each user's history.  So since you posted it, it wasn't unread for you. I don't know of a formal setting for 'resolved'.  This is more a feature in issue tracking software, not for discussion forums like this.

The user has an option though to display a little icon for each message.  So the "thumb up" icon could function as you wish, see header of this reply.

caz3057

unbeldi

Most welcome, I learned something too, a new detail about the No. 6 dials.

Let us know about your next find.

unbeldi

I just also noticed an interesting aspect about the 6U and 6T dials that I showed.
The 1969 dial appears to have a plastic main gear on the center dial shaft, while the later 1971 dial reverted back to a copper alloy. Hmm, or was that just a light gray metal?

NorthernElectric

Quote from: caz3057 on March 01, 2016, 01:47:26 PMAlso is there a way to mark this discussion as "Resolved" in order to help others in the future?

You could edit the title of the 1st post to append ' - resolved' or similar.  I don't think that will change the title of subsequent replies, but at least it would appear with that title if someone were browsing the forum, if not the unread posts or search hits.
Cliff