News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not one, but two NOS space makers plus

Started by Butch Harlow, December 09, 2017, 10:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

Last Friday I checked the Facebook Marketplace for the first time and found a pink AE 183 space maker phone, NOS in box with instructions. The box was in horrible condition, and the instructions, while well weathered and damaged, were still readable. The price was 54.00 and located a good 2 hour drive from where I live in Richmond, VA. I decided to go check it out, as I had nothing better to do and contacted the seller to set it up. When I arrived, the seller informed me he had not one, but 2, both in the same condition. I bought them both for 108.00. He also pointed to a muddy pile in his driveway that remotely looked like it may be phones of some sort and said "make me an offer." I offered 10.00, which he gladly accepted. In that pile were 4 AE40 monophones, one AE 83 (I think) early space maker, and a Western Electric 252 wall phone. All looked as if they had been buried and then unearthed, but I figured for 10.00, I could get at least one good part. When I got home, the news got better and better. 3 of 4 of the AE40 phones are worth the effort to refurbish, the 252 just needs a case, and the AE 83 while a tough case, will probably work someday. One of the AE40 phones had the chrome trim handset and dial center ring. all have pretty cool dial center cards under the sticker covered original acetate. I have since spent a little time on the nicer AE40 and you see it in the picture bottom right. It gets a dial tone, but I have to take it to work to see if it dials. These are the first AE phones in my collection, and I have enjoyed trying to resurrect them thus far. Same seller also had a 1D payphone, complete with both keys, I intend to pick that up after the holidays.
Butch Harlow

oldguy

Nice find Butch. I didn't know Facebook had a marketplace.
Gary

Butch Harlow

Quote from: oldguy on December 09, 2017, 11:20:45 PM
Nice find Butch. I didn't know Facebook had a marketplace.

I had noticed it was there a few months back, but never really gave it the time of day. It was a surprise to find quite a few phone items on there.
Butch Harlow