News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eiffel tower phone

Started by bushman, October 10, 2010, 03:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I wasn't real sure where to post this one. I have been helping a guy out with some mechanic work over the past couple of month's. I wouldn't take any cash from him for the help. He just dropped by and asked if I would take a phone for payment. I said sure without even knowing what it was. I just figured it would be a 70's 500 or something like that. Here are two pics of what he gave me. I would appreciate any input on this one.

Bushman

Jim Stettler

OH OH  :o

Kenny has a contender for Find of the month.

How much do you think your labor was worth?

I am not real up on these phones. As a value Guess $900 give or take $300.   

The mounting block is worth good $ by itself.

I would probably remove the teardrop for now. You may be able to get a nother tear drop from phoneco.

Great find.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on October 10, 2010, 03:09:20 PM
OH OH  :o

Kenny has a contender for Find of the month.

How much do you think your labor was worth?
I am not real up on these phones. As a value Guess $900 give or take $300.   
The mounting block is worth good $ by itself.
I would probably remove the teardrop for now. You may be able to get a nother tear drop from phoneco.

Great find.

Jim

So Jim, tell us what it is!  What's a "teardrop" in relation to this phone?  I've only seen the 70s repro versions of these things.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

That is the little "Droplet" hanging on 1 side of the cradel.
The earlier phones can be really ornate.
Most of them are plain because they were "posta" (phone company)l sets.

This is a skelatal and maybe an eiffel. I am not really sure of the differences, But I have been told there are some.

" "All Eiffels are skelatals, but not all skelatals are Eiffels"

I once bought 2 of these for $1,000. I sold the "spare" for $1,000.  This was probably around 15 years ago.  My Earlier value comments might be lowball.

Remco will probably tell us a lot about the subject.
Jim
You live, You learn,

bushman

The value of what I did for him wasn't much. I just diagnosed a plugged cat and installed it for him. And then replace the drive belt on his riding lawnmower. Nothing major at all. That's why I wouldn't take any cash from him.

Bushman

Greg G.

Quote from: bushman on October 10, 2010, 03:29:26 PM
The value of what I did for him wasn't much. I just diagnosed a plugged cat and installed it for him. And then replace the drive belt on his riding lawnmower. Nothing major at all. That's why I wouldn't take any cash from him.

Bushman

Maybe not to you, but to "mechanically-challenged" folk, you performed a valuable service.  It's hard to find mechanics you can trust.  Kinda like trying to find help moving, even friends do a disappearing act.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: bushman on October 10, 2010, 03:29:26 PM

Bushman
That is worth a six pack of your favorite beer. My Favorite beer is $9.12 (inc tax) for a 6 pack.

I toss that amount in as a "fair value"

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

KeithB

Quote from: Brinybay on October 10, 2010, 04:45:51 PM
It's hard to find mechanics you can trust. 
Quoted for truth.

I've found two good mechanics in the last twenty years, thank goodness.

Jim Stettler

I have a mechanic that will check out a car for me for a 6 pack of Pepsi in 20 oz. bottles. He is fair and honest when it comes time to fix the problem he warned you about.

I usually tip him a 6-pack of Pepsi he fixes the wifes Van.
I drive  a 1986 Toyta pick-up. I repair it myself.
Jim
You live, You learn,

KeithB

<LM Ericsson Eiffel Tower Desk Telephone>

It appears to be from the earliest years of the 20th century...  Quite beautiful when polished.

(EDIT: I took down the photograph from his website, as he requires prior permission for use.)

Jim Stettler

There were lots and lots of variations of these.  The basic style was used for years. It is one of those phones that a serious collector likes owning. Even if you end up selling it.

I would keep it. The price was right and It is tough to find an affordable one.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

KeithB

The pages in that LM Ericsson link above are from another "Paul" who performs some unbelievable restorations on these Ericsson phones.   His wood-finishing skills with oak and walnut are amazing, IMHO.  Especially his faux-finishing of tin battery covers.

Don't let Dennis Markham see his work.  ;D  (We wouldn't want Dennis to get side-tracked.)

bushman

I wonder if I contacted him direct, he could give some insight on this and how to properly restore it without damaging the value. And no I wasn't thinking of selling it, Just want to do the right thing with it. Display it!! Very carefully, of course.

Bushman

Jim Stettler

Quote from: bushman on October 10, 2010, 07:25:01 PM
I wonder if I contacted him direct, he could give some insight on this and how to properly restore it without damaging the value. And no I wasn't thinking of selling it, Just want to do the right thing with it. Display it!! Very carefully, of course.

Bushman

It doesn't hurt to talk to strangers. I would try, worse he could do is ignore you or not help.
Jim
You live, You learn,

KeithB

He's member #3923 of the ATCA and posts a <link on his pages> to contact him via e-mail.  I don't think he'd mind hearing from a fellow telephone collector and enthusiast with such a prized item.