News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A must-see 354 on eBay!

Started by deedubya3800, September 23, 2010, 02:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I couldn't keep this one to myself, so I'm posting it here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290477296858

It's from 12-54 and it needs a good home. It wouldn't take too much work to have something really nice here, and it would certainly give someone something to brag about as long as they take plenty of good pictures. Come on, you know it's worth it!

HarrySmith

Very cool ;D
The backboard alone is worth more than the $25.00 :P
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

I wasn't aware Western Electric ever issued wooden backboards with the 354 series.

bingster

Yep, they were available in ivory and black.  There were backboards for just about everything.

That poor phone.  First a coat of grey and then a coat of black.  All apparently done with a house painting brush.  
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

A few shots of Easy-Off will probably get most of that paint off.

KeithB

If not, CitriStrip does a fantastic job.

Doug Rose

Quote from: KeithB on September 24, 2010, 08:39:43 AM
If not, CitriStrip does a fantastic job.
Does it work on Plastic, I never dared....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 23, 2010, 10:26:38 PM
A few shots of Easy-Off will probably get most of that paint off.
Dennis....does the easi off dull the plastic? I have never tried this....DOug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, check out this topic where examples are shown using Easy Off oven cleaner:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1232.0

I found that once the paint was removed and the plastic polished, it's as good as new.  Easy-Off will not remove Polane paint...not even a little.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 24, 2010, 02:43:32 PM
Doug, check out this topic where examples are shown using Easy Off oven cleaner:

I found that once the paint was removed and the plastic polished, it's as good as new.  Easy-Off will not remove Polane paint...not even a little.
Thanks Dennis....I will give it a try......Doug
Kidphone

KeithB

Quote from: KeithB on September 24, 2010, 08:39:43 AMIf not, CitriStrip does a fantastic job.
I use plastic bowls for holding small painted parts with CitriStrip, also cover them with Saran Wrap, and it's never harmed the bowls or wrap.  The instructions advise testing on a small area of any type of plastic before completely coating it, but I haven't seen anything yet that's a problem.  It's thick, coats well, has a clean citrus scent, and works slowly and consistently over 30 minutes.  It was $20 for a half-gallon at HomeDepot, and I still haven't used up the first half-gallon yet.  Because it's a thick gel, it spreads easily with a small brush.  It rinses cleanly off my 1-inch paint brush with nylon bristles, if that's any indication.  The active solvent in it is N-methyl 2-pyrrolidone.  There is no methyl chloride (a very aggressive solvent) or methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK, another aggressive solvent) in it, so it's rather gentle as a paint stripper, but still works well, especially with any latex or enamel paints.  It doesn't work well on original Western Electric black japanned metal, where more aggressive strippers are required.

Sargeguy

QuoteIt doesn't work well on original Western Electric black japanned metal, where more aggressive strippers are required.

What strippers are those?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

KeithB

Methylene chloride, methyl ethyl ketone, toluene, methyl alcohol, mineral spirits, all very volatile and agressive solvents.

The japan black coating is a mixture of carbon black, asphaltum, and shellac/lacquer/varnish that bonds very tightly to clean metal.  That's why Henry Ford used it on cars and Western Electric used it on metal phones, it was extremely durable and long-lasting.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 24, 2010, 02:43:32 PM

I second that.
Jorge