News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

It's alive......233G from Ebay

Started by Shovelhead, August 26, 2010, 10:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovelhead

Well, a sense of accomplishment tonight.

The 233G that I purchased as a BIN on Ebay now works.

A little background. I jumped when I should have been cautious and bought it for $135 plus shipping of about $26 a couple of months ago. When I looked at the dial's photo after agreeing to it, I noticed that it was not "clocked" correctly. At that time I posted "buyer's remorse". When it arrived, a bit of a sinking feeling.

The vault door and the upper housing was bolted together using carriage bolts in place of the locks. A later model handset with a armored cable had been affixed, and a modular plug was poorly installed. A 425 network along with a C4A ringer was in the coin vault, kind of stuffed in there. Chrome on the vault door is peeling and rusting, again another sign of a rough life.

Would not get a dial tone unless you turned the dial slightly. Another member here sold me a 6 dial, I installed it to no difference. I had a couple of wiring diagrams from the internet, so tonight I got brave. Disconnected all wiring, started from scratch. Got dial tone the first time around (kind of, had to reverse the line wiring). Dials out fine, but a little static in the phone. Not sure, but I will recheck everything this weekend. There is some corrosion on the contacts, the phone looks like it got wet or was stored in a wet area due to some signs of corrosion on the brass contacts.

So, now this is operational, I will probably tear it down this winter for a full cosmetic restoration, including installing the G1 handset that I have. And off to hunt a backboard and a set of locks for the vault and housing. The vault door, well I'll probably paint it black as I can get it rechromed, but prices being what they are for this job it will probably be about a hundred bucks to do it.

When it is finished, it will be on the wall in the basement next to my 1969 Valley coin-op pool table that I acquired this spring. I have been working on getting this particular table for two years. Tenacity is one of my good or bad points I guess...

KeithB

I just joined your club (payphone owner club?) today.  ;D 

I purchased a 233G and paid a bit more than you did, but the shipping cost was the same.  I'm hoping the insides of mine won't be nearly as re-worked as yours, but there's no telling until it arrives. 

Fortunately, I found some circuit diagrams on the web.  Here are the links:

Porticus web-site - 233G restoration  ( dead link 12-12-18 )
Doug Alderdice's Coin Relay Controller circuit    ( dead link 12-12-18 )
damon666's 191G and 233G web page    ( dead link 12-12-18 )
234G Payphone schematic  [  ( dead link 12-12-18 )

Shovelhead

PM me if you have any questions, maybe I can help.

dsk

The link to Doug's controller has changed. just now it is:  http://ka2wft.net/phones/payphone.htm