News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

make sure that if you have a nieghbor recieve it, you remember who it it....
John

TelePlay

This has been seen, posted, before and I know it happens, just happened again to me. I should have known better from past experience.

Bought an item, would have been $1.99 (with free shipping) from China with 3 weeks shipping.

Went with a listing that said they shipped from the US with a 3-4 day delivery for $8.99 (with free shipping).

The same day the order was placed, it tracked as having a shipping label created, USPS awaiting receipt of package. Post office seems to be Bensenville, IL.

Then the tracking showed, 6 days later, that the package was processed through Los Angeles.

I forgot that Bensenville is a major importer location next to O'hare airport in Chicago. The order was placed by me to the distributor in Bensenville who then ordered it from China and is now through customs in Los Angeles. I might get it by Wednesday, maybe Thursday, certainly not within the 3-4 days promised.

My error. I spent $6 dollars for quick delivery from a US seller and ended up with the much longer China sent delivery. The bear bit me, again, because I forgot about Bensenville. Maybe the $6 went to an expedited envelope from China which may cut off several weeks to delivery.

eBay still hasn't found a way to confirm US locations to actual locations.

The red boxes were cut and pasted from the eBay listing.

FABphones

:(

Seller feedback, usually negative or neutral, will often have complaints if item/s are sent to a buyer from overseas and not 'locally' as registered.
Worth a quick look.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

This verifies Bensenville IL is an international import center, no sellers live and ship from that city.

This item I knowingly bought from China, couldn't get it anywhere else. Package went from seller to export center to US import center to the Bensenville distribution center, where it's given to, matched up with, the USPS office for delivery to me.

Nothing dishonest in this purchase and actually, a fast delivery from China.

TelePlay

Months ago, the USPS cleaned up and/or out its Opa Locka regional distribution center.

The new "Opa Locka" seems to be in Arkansas. Maybe they hired all the fired employees from Opa Locka?

11 days to move the item from the seller's location to an adjacent state.

Seller told me this happens all the time to them and have complained to the post office about it.

MMikeJBenN27

Anybody notice how service has become worse after they made ZIP codes mandatory about 2 or 3 years ago?  And how, with the Trumpster's post master, Louis DeJoy, it has become worse yet?

Mike

TelePlay

No, I didn't and it didn't.

Opa Locka (read this whole topic or Google it) dealt with a corrupt distribution center involving drug use, parcel theft, intentional parcel destruction and just letting stuff pile up in trailers at the facility. Postal inspectors cleaned house and clearance of a parcel through Opa Locka now is less than a day, normal processing time for a large distribution center. This topic contains humorous exemplars of what may have gone wrong with a shipment, not a political sounding board to meet any agenda.

TelePlay

Another new Opa Locka has been found: St. Paul, Minnesota. Kind of like Wack-a-Mole at the post office, they clean up one and another falls apart.

The package sat for a full 7 days in their facility.

And the route the USPS sent it on was a bit strange: New Jersey to St. Paul to Oak Creek (WI) to Champaign (IL) to Chicago to Milwaukee to Oak Creek to Waukesha - map attached (red lines are reasonable, blue lines are a mystery tour).

This is the tracking on this package:

Feb 1, 2023 -- 3:46pm -- DELIVERED IN/AT MAILBOX -- WAUKESHA, WI 53189
Feb 1, 2023 -- 6:44am -- OUT FOR DELIVERY -- WAUKESHA, WI 53189
Feb 1, 2023 -- 6:33am -- ARRIVAL AT UNIT -- WAUKESHA, WI 53186
Feb 1, 2023 -- 4:39am -- ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY -- WAUKESHA, WI 53186
Feb 1, 2023 -- 4:04am -- In Transit to Next Facility
Feb 1, 2023 -- 3:44am -- DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY -- OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTE, 53154
Jan 31, 2023 -- 12:55pm -- PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY -- OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTE, 53154
Jan 31, 2023 -- 11:44am -- ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY -- OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTE, 53154
Jan 31, 2023 -- 11:13am -- DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY -- MILWAUKEE, WI 53203
Jan 31, 2023 -- 10:59am -- ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY -- MILWAUKEE, WI 53203
Jan 31, 2023 -- 8:55am -- DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY -- CHICAGO IL LOGISTICS CENTER, 60502
Jan 31, 2023 -- 6:19am -- ARRIVE USPS FACILITY -- CHICAGO IL LOGISTICS CENTER, 60502
Jan 31, 2023 -- 2:40am -- DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY -- CHAMPAIGN IL DISTRIBUTION CENTE, 61821
Jan 30, 2023 -- 11:21am -- PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY -- CHAMPAIGN IL DISTRIBUTION CENTE, 61821
Jan 29, 2023 -- 9:11pm -- PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY -- CHAMPAIGN IL DISTRIBUTION CENTE, 61821
Jan 29, 2023 -- 12:00am -- In Transit to Next Facility
Jan 26, 2023 -- 7:39pm -- PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY -- OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTE, 53154
Jan 26, 2023 -- 12:00am -- In Transit to Next Facility
Jan 25, 2023 -- 7:50am -- PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY -- SAINT PAUL, MN 55131
Jan 22, 2023 -- 12:00am -- In Transit, Arriving Late
Jan 21, 2023 -- 12:00am -- In Transit, Arriving Late
Jan 20, 2023 -- 12:00am -- In Transit, Arriving Late
Jan 19, 2023 -- 12:00am -- In Transit to Next Facility
Jan 18, 2023 -- 8:44am -- PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY -- SAINT PAUL, MN 55131
Jan 12, 2023 -- 10:43am -- DEPART SHIP PTNR SITE USPS AWAITS ITEM -- CLOSTER, NJ 07624
Jan 12, 2023 -- 8:31am -- ARRIVED SHIP PTNR SITE USPS AWAITS ITEM -- CLOSTER, NJ 07624
Jan 12, 2023 -- 6:20am -- PICK UP BY SHIP PTNR USPS AWAITS ITEM -- CLOSTER, NJ 07624
Jan 12, 2023 -- 4:06am -- SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM -- CLOSTER, NJ 07624
Jan 12, 2023 -- 12:00am -- Tracking number provided

That was a 20 day trip, and now I no longer need the part.

On any given shipment, one never knows.

Contempra

It is to understand nothing! :( I recently received a package from the state of Texas and it took no more than 8 days . I receive my package by " Canada Post " . However, my package has not traveled much, let's say in 2 or 3 facilities before reaching my home without any problem...But often I see a USPS truck or two pass by almost every day in my part of the country.

LarryInMichigan

I spent about 3 1/2 years (in university) in Champaign, IL, and it was an extremely weird place.

Larry

MMikeJBenN27

When tracking first became available, it was nice, but now it is becoming useless.  Just like E-Bay's Saved Searches.  Was great at first, but now they send you E-Mails for any and everything, instead of what you were searching for.

Mike

TelePlay

eBay still had the problem of sellers located, item ships from, China saying the item ships from the US.

Yes, the item ships from the US AFTER it arrives in a container from China. A one week delivery stated in the eBay listing turns into 3 to 4 weeks.

This item tracking number says "Depart shipping partner, USPS awaits item" for days. The tracking number is provided the day of purchase, the above posted 2 days later and every day for a week after that.

Here's their shipping claim (the stated delivery dates on this image assumes the item were purchased today). The item shipping location showed New Jersey (thought it was a US shipper) but the tracking is from Chicago, an import hub.

Irritating!

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on February 16, 2023, 07:56:44 AMeBay still had the problem of sellers located, item ships from, China saying the item ships from the US...

Unfortunately same thing happens in the UK.

When I need to buy items which I can see the seller has multiple quantities of, beside selecting UK sellers only, I check their feedback. Someone will usually mention if seller is overseas and not as stated. If I can't find anything in feedback but still suspect an overseas seller (usually a clue in the photos, description, spelling etc) I contact the seller with a question. The way the received reply is formatted or worded is usually a give away. Also the time of their reply - for example a reply message received around 3 or 4 a.m. is usually an indication the seller is not working to UK Greenwich Mean Time. Sometimes the seller name gives a clue too. Often multiple numbers appear as part of an odd sounding account name.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on February 16, 2023, 10:07:30 AMUnfortunately same thing happens in the UK.

When I need to buy items which I can see the seller has multiple quantities of, beside selecting UK sellers only, I check their feedback. Someone will usually mention if seller is overseas and not as stated. If I can't find anything in feedback but still suspect an overseas seller (usually a clue in the photos, description, spelling etc) I contact the seller with a question. The way the received reply is formatted or worded is usually a give away. Also the time of their reply - for example a reply message received around 3 or 4 a.m. is usually an indication the seller is not working to UK Greenwich Mean Time. Sometimes the seller name gives a clue too. Often multiple numbers appear as part of an odd sounding account name.

Not false at all Fab and what you say is real  and the tricks you mention are good to know .

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on February 16, 2023, 07:56:44 AMeBay still had the problem of sellers located, item ships from, China saying the item ships from the US.

The original eBay listing still states the item ships from New Jersey.