News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new North Galion

Started by Pourme, October 27, 2016, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I was walking through one of my favorite Antique/collectible stores this morning and it was just sitting there.  The $75.00 price tag said it was a Stromberg Carlson w/ box. This pristine North Electric was sitting on top of a SC box. I took a picture to Bob, the store owner and he called the vendor and made him aware that I was willing to give $50.00 for the incorrectly labeled phone and now it is mine.

I wish it had a dial, but this phone wasn't hardly used in the previous sixty seven years before I found it.  It is in complete working order and the body and base is dated 5/50. Line cord is I-50 the handset cord is lighter and is undated, although the brass looks old and has a patina. You can see the Rec & Trans dated 8/49 & 1/20/50 respectively. It is a dates matching phone with the possible exception of the handset cord.

The headline here is the condition of this phone! All but the last picture is with no cleaning at all. The pic of it on my desk is after nominal buffing with Novis 2.

The kicker is the box. made for a SC 1543 G W/dial. It will go on EBAY to help defray the cost of the phone & make the owner of a SC 1543 somewhere happy!

I have a 1946 version but it isn't even close to the condition of this one!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

More pics
Benny

poplar1

The induction coil, transmitter and receiver were made for North by Western Electric. One of the cords shown is also a Western Electric, so there should be a date and a D3x or D3xx code on the restraint.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

Quote from: poplar1 on October 27, 2016, 05:10:04 PM
The induction coil, transmitter and receiver were made for North by Western Electric. One of the cords shown is also a Western Electric, so there should be a date and a D3x or D3xx code on the restraint.

The line cord reads "D3 AW"

There is nothing on the handset cord at all

I have photographed them as best as I can.

Could they both be original?
Benny

poplar1

D3AW is the Western Electric part number (D=desk stand or mounting cord, 3=3-conductor, AW arbitrary code assigned )
5-6 is the length (5' 6")
III 50 is the date, which closely matches the phone.

I'm guessing the handset cord is not original, since probably North would have purchased both cords from WE, and both would have the "basket weave" in 1950.

Pourme

I agree with you. It's just odd that everything on the phone looks to be matching dates except the cord, in light that the phone looks barely used. Why would the cord have to be replaced? Could have been a defective part, I guess. Thanks for looking!
Benny

poplar1

Yes, on second thought, I agree that the phone looks almost new. Perhaps that is a North handset cord after all. Might need to look at a North brochure or catalog.

Doug Rose

Benny...it's a beauty..nothing  beats new.  I smell find of the month..... Really nice....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone!  I like the fact that it's a manual (no dial).  The cord looks like new, and it has a straight line ringer too.  Very much worth the $50 and you didn't have to pay shipping.  Nice find.

~Dennis

Pourme

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 27, 2016, 08:17:22 PM
Beautiful phone!  I like the fact that it's a manual (no dial).  The cord looks like new, and it has a straight line ringer too.  Very much worth the $50 and you didn't have to pay shipping.  Nice find.

~Dennis

Interesting you would say that Dennis. When I was waiting on Bob to write it up, I was smiling because I was thinking that I didn't have to pay shipping on this one!
Benny

oldguy

Nice find Benny, I was thinking maybe northern had their handsets already setup with cords. So when they assembled phones the handset & line cords didn't always match??
Gary

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on October 28, 2016, 07:11:52 AM
Nice find Benny, I was thinking maybe northern had their handsets already setup with cords. So when they assembled phones the handset & line cords didn't always match??

Thanks, The quality of the cord is there, connectors and inner wires, all top quality. I find it odd....
Benny