News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Worth $50?

Started by cloyd, December 02, 2016, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

I was offered this phone but I don't know anything about them.  What do you call this type anyway.  I can't even tell if it is faked or reproduction.

Any input is appreciated!

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

poplar1

It's upside down. Looks like a WE wall phone or subset made into a wall phone; however, on WE 553A or 653A factory wall phones, the dial is at the top and the transmitter at the bottom, with the switchhook and receiver on the left.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

Because it has a dial blank, I would think it isn't a conversion?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

I am thinking it is a wall phone vs a subset conversion. It appears to hinge open, held shut by 1 screw. The similar looking subsets  I have seen have  2 screws holding the (removable) cover on.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: Jim S. on December 02, 2016, 07:00:46 PM
I am thinking it is a wall phone vs a subset conversion. It appears to hinge open, held shut by 1 screw. The similar looking subsets  I have seen have  2 screws holding the (removable) cover on.

JMO,
Jim S.

The WE 584- and 684-type subsets have Bakelite covers with 2 screws.
This phone looks more like a 534- or 634-type, which has hinges and one cover screw:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-634-A-SUBSET-GOOD-CONDITION-/291959539610

poplar1

WE dial wall set that uses the same baseplate as the 534- or 634-type subset has dial at top, transmitter at bottom, and receiver on left:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-WALL-TELEPHONE-KITCHEN-PHONE-1930S-/291954837440

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

But isn't that dial blank from a Stromberg-Carlson?

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Looks like a Frankenphone to me.  Ask for some pics of the inside.  If you could use it as a subset it might be worth it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409