News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a good deal?

Started by Bridie, November 21, 2013, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

Hi everyone, I've been pondering this WE 202 (I know, I know - I said no more phones til I've restored the one I have... ::)) but am unsure if $75 is a good price for it (keeping in mind the shipping to Canada is $37)  It would need to be stripped and painted but that's appealing to me; I could make it any colour I like.  The cords may need changing and although the seller says the dialer moves smoothly, that doesn't necessarily mean it will work.  I would want to change the dial plate and unless the fingerwheel cleans up nicely, I'd change that as well.  Then the cost of getting a subset/ringer.  Hmmm.   :-\ Is it worth $75 as is?  If not, should I make an offer?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291002895826
Bridget

LarryInMichigan

It appears that it may be factory painted ivory, but given the condition, I think that $75 is far too much.  I am not sure what would be a good price.

Larry

Russ Kirk

I agree.  There are many other better choices in the same price range and you would not have to strip the phone.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/telephones/202s/auctions?sort=completed

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

If you are interested in doing your own painting, it should be easy to find a D1 mount in need of painting. 

Larry

brshaffer

I spent most of the summer shopping for a 202.  Ones with E1 handsets go for more than F1 handsets.  I was looking for one with an E1. 

Based on what I saw, and a brief look at the completed listing, expect a nice 202 with an E1 handset to fetch around $80-$100 USD and $60 - $80 for a D1 handset.  Take off ~$20 if it doesn't have a dial.  Those figures will also slide given if it's in better or worse condition.  For the white 202, I personally wouldn't go much more than $30--there are some nice 202s with D1 that just sold recently for $50ish. 

I ended up getting a nearly perfect original 202 with E1 handset for $85 USD without a subset and I think even that was lucky.  There wasn't one paint chip on the cradle or anywhere else for that matter.  Well taken care of.  I'm not sure how well I did, but I know after 3 months of seeing E1 202s go for an average of $120, I pulled the trigger. 

When it arrived I also discovered it came with a 4H dial (which also commands a premium if it's visible or is mentioned in the listing).  5H dial sets will be cheaper.

Bridie

Thanks Larry and Russ, I really appreciate your advice.  And thanks for the link Russ!  It looks like I could get a fully-working phone with subset included for not very much more.  $75 is definitely too much to pay for that one. I have alot to learn!  :)
Bridget

HarrySmith

NOOOOOO  :o
That is way too much for that phone!! That is a $10.00 phone.
Also when referencing an eBay auction a picture of the item is a good idea so when someone comes back to this thread in 6 months they will have an idea of what was being discussed after Ebay deletes the auction.
Shortening the links is also a good idea, long links can mess up some browsers. All you need is: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291002895826
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Bridie

Thanks for all that info, brshaffer.  $85 for the nearly-perfect 202 with the 4H dial seems like a really sweet deal.  I currently have a 1931 202 with E1 handset that needs ALOT of work - horrible paint job, busted AE dialer, shattered receiver ring, cracked transmitter spitcup, receiver won't come off the handset, no base plate, etc. etc. etc.  I was given it years ago and I just recently started thinking about restoring it.  It would be cheaper to buy a "new" one but I'd really like to restore the one I was given.  I much prefer the E1 handset, it has such a nicer look to it, but I wouldn't mind picking up one with an F1 handset and a bad paint job so I could paint it a different colour.  But really, I should focus on working on the 202 that I have now.
Bridget

southernphoneman

I have to say also that to make the phone complete it should have a western electric dial in it and, to make it work properly should be hooked up to a subset. the subsets and 202s sold with the e1 handset seem to go for more money, good luck, Gregg

Phonesrfun

Looks like an ivory Continental, and it does have a WE dial....
-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Yeah, IMHO, that looks factory. Notice the dial is clear, not painted, and notice how it's an open-center, not a later dial. It may not be worth $75, but it's worth something.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Bridie

Thanks a million for all the feedback and info, guys - I really appreciate it.  I have alot to learn and until I do I should keep the old debit card safe in my wallet  ;D

Would there be any way to tell if it's an ivory continental for sure, and would anyone else like to hazard a guess as to what it may be worth in that condition, and whether it would be worth the price of shipping?

Thanks also for the tip on posting ebay URLs, HarrySmith.  I'll be sure to do that in future.
Bridget

poplar1

I believe it is a Continental that was issued from the WE repair shop, based on the dial and cords. The finger wheel is not broken, and the paint on the main part of the phone isn't that bad--just dirty. Still, because of the condition of the cords, worn number plate on the dial, and missing paint on the handset, I don't think it's worth more than $40-$50.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Bridie

Thanks again to everyone for your advice.  I notice the seller has since relisted it and dropped the price down to $60.  Still too much, though.
Bridget