News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1938 Black WE 302

Started by Craig T, January 21, 2011, 07:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Quote from: Vern P on January 26, 2011, 04:28:06 AMIf any thing I would use a sharpie, this will cover the marks from a far.

I do this a lot.  Little nicks in fingerwheels, dial card holders, etc., all disappear with a little work with a sharpie.
= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

I have not been able to find a Sharpie that is actually Black. They all appear Purple when I use them on a phone. What do you use? Is it truly Black?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Vern P

Yes this is the time line chart I was talking about.

Vern P

LarryInMichigan

Has anyone tried using india ink for touching up chips and scratches?  It is probably blacker than a marker.

Larry

baldopeacock

There are also "paint pens", kinda like Sharpies but containing paint.   They come in fine tips, which might be just the thing for a careful touch-up.

Doug Rose

Quote from: baldopeacock on January 26, 2011, 01:08:23 PM
There are also "paint pens", kinda like Sharpies but containing paint.   They come in fine tips, which might be just the thing for a careful touch-up.
where do you buy the paint pens?...Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

Quote from: Kidphone on January 26, 2011, 02:03:56 PM
Quote from: baldopeacock on January 26, 2011, 01:08:23 PM
There are also "paint pens", kinda like Sharpies but containing paint.   They come in fine tips, which might be just the thing for a careful touch-up.
where do you buy the paint pens?...Doug

Sharpie makes some - here's a link to their fine-tip black, oil-based paint pen...

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=SharpieOil-BasedPaintMarkerFine%28Sharpie%20Catalog%29

and a list of places to order them.   (Locally, probably an art supply place would stock some)

http://sanford.links.channelintelligence.com/pages/prices.asp?nIID=35119138&nRGID=2517

They cost about two bucks.  Worth trying, I'd think.

bingster

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 26, 2011, 08:28:47 AM
I have not been able to find a Sharpie that is actually Black. They all appear Purple when I use them on a phone. What do you use? Is it truly Black?
After the sharpie is totally dry, rubbing your finger over it will remove the purple tint.  But the paint pen sounds like an even better solution, if they're not too expensive.
= DARRIN =

Craig T

Thanks for the tip gentleman  :)   I will get a photo of the bottom to see if it has the bump or not.

Doug and Vern, thank you for the time line, I would like to learn more of the historical changes of the 302.

baldopeacock

Quote from: bingster on January 26, 2011, 06:07:35 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on January 26, 2011, 08:28:47 AM
After the sharpie is totally dry, rubbing your finger over it will remove the purple tint.  But the paint pen sounds like an even better solution, if they're not too expensive.

Check the prices on that second link I posted, several had them for less than two bucks each, online.

Wallphone

The sixth one down (FunToy Mall.com) wanted $14.07 + $9.95 shipping for ONE. That can't be right.

Craig T

Quote from: Vern P on January 26, 2011, 04:28:06 AM

About the base it self, The early one are more flat, as they don't have a bump under the captors, as the later ones do.  Didn't see a bottom photo of the base.

Vern P

Vern, I took a few pics. The one on the left is the 1938 and the one on the right is later, but had a WE curly cloth cord on it. I see the 1938 does not have the bump you are talking about. It must be from late 1937 anyhow. That chart was full of great info. Thanks, -Craig

baldopeacock

Quote from: Wallphone on January 26, 2011, 06:50:31 PM
The sixth one down (FunToy Mall.com) wanted $14.07 + $9.95 shipping for ONE. That can't be right.

That may be their price, but if that's the price for ONE, they must have quite an inventory of them.

A monkey walks into a drugstore and orders a fifty-cent sundae. He puts down a ten-dollar bill to pay for it.

The clerk thinks, "What can a monkey know about money?" So he hands back a single dollar in change and says, "You know, we don't get many monkeys in here."

"No wonder," answers the monkey, "At these prices you won't get many more."

LarryInMichigan

Look at: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3563.0.  There was a discussion bout 302 bottom plates with some pictures.

Larry

Craig T

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 26, 2011, 08:12:35 PM
Look at: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3563.0.  There was a discussion bout 302 bottom plates with some pictures.

Larry

Thanks Larry, so there are 4 different 302 bases in total or more?