News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PMG? Receiver Cap

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 10, 2013, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

In the box with the assortment of handsets I recently received was a single handset receiver cap.  It looks the same as the cap on the type 304 handset on my Australian PMG 300 AT, and it fits the handset.  Would this cap fit any other handset?  Does anyone need one?

Larry

twocvbloke

It'd probably fit a GPO 164 handset, but I couldn't be sure of that myself... :D

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 10, 2013, 05:39:24 PM
It'd probably fit a GPO 164 handset, but I couldn't be sure of that myself... :D

I tried that, but it does not fit.  It is shaped differently also.

Larry

wds

Rats.  I just picked up this 332 and need a new cap for the handset.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on March 10, 2013, 06:09:55 PM
Rats.  I just picked up this 332 and need a new cap for the handset.  

My cap will not work there, but I do occasionally see GPO handset caps for sale.  Even if you buy one from a seller in the UK, shipping shouldn't be so bad.  At least one of my caps is also broken like that.  Those caps are notorious from breaking.

Larry

twocvbloke

I just took another look at that receiver cap, and it looks similar to a GPO No.3 handset's receiver cap, so, it may fit a GPO (or similar) 700 series handset... :)

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 10, 2013, 11:01:17 PM
I just took another look at that receiver cap, and it looks similar to a GPO No.3 handset's receiver cap, so, it may fit a GPO (or similar) 700 series handset... :)

I tried that also, and no fit.

Larry

twocvbloke

Could be something eurpoean maybe, but with that I'm scraping the barrel... :D

Bill

Are you sure it comes from a handset, rather than an older receiver? Does it seem to be hard rubber, rather than one of the plastics or bakelite? I need a cap to replace the one in the fifth picture here

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7165.msg80656#msg80656

Although yours is not identical to the one I have, it might serve. We should talk about size, cost, etc.

Bill

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Bill on March 11, 2013, 12:16:26 PM
Does it seem to be hard rubber, rather than one of the plastics or bakelite? I need a cap to replace the one in the fifth picture here, and although yours is not identical to the one I have, it might serve. We should talk about size, cost, etc.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7165.msg80656#msg80656

Bill

It is bakelite, and it will not fit your receiver.  It does fit an Australian PMG handset, but I was wondering what else it might fit.

Larry