News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Since Dan D/P is the king of painted phones.............

Started by BDM, March 08, 2009, 05:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Those Norths were readily available in colored plastics like the 302s were.  That would cause me to believe it got a basement paint job at some point.  But with independents, who knows.  It's not a bad paint job, actually.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

The galion, if Northern Electric, I'm convinced by many examples that it is factory. I think Northern MAY have painted the finger wheels. I've seen a few examples all the same shade of tan, that had finger wheels painted all Northern Electric.

Bingster;
I will agree it may have started out as  mainstream Northern, then got the treatment from an independant, The examples I've seen have all been N.E., and the paint was applied nicely, not brushed.
D/P

How do I clean paint off cases...
Depending on what the body  is made of and what it's painted with.
I've used lacquer thinner, and paint stripper. You need to test each item before proceding. Never soak a plastic body in anything other than soapy water or clean water. When I use lacquer thinner, I do it with rags, a section at a time. When I use paint stripper I usually coat as much as i can and wipe it off after the recommended time. I then procede with Brasso to polish, or wet sanding oif I need too remove major blemishes.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

The newest member, Rob, from the town of Kellogg, Indiana, has a Redbar that has been home painted and he needs to clean it up and de-gunk it.

Calling all Panthers.

Welcome Robert and please post pictures of your phones and projects.

bingster

The Galion is by North Electric of Galion, Ohio, rather than the Bell System's Northern Electric.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
Didn't realize there were two with similar names..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

To add to that, sometime in the mid/late 50s, Bell was forced to spin off Northern Electric. So it became it's own entity so to say. You may & will see other manufactures parts on N.E. phones. As well as their own designs.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI