News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trimeline

Started by Tonyrotary, October 23, 2009, 07:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

I finally got around to playing with my trimeline phone. It was the first phone I bought on ebay while deployed. It came with a transformer and also the hardwire jack that the phone is still attached to. Inside the jack are the mounting screws. A little bonus...lol. As you can see the phone is pre modular but although you cannot really see from the picture, The base and handset are 2 different colors. I believe the base is a light beige and the hanset is ivory.

I opened the handset and the date is 9/70 while the base is 4/71. The cord matches the handset. I wonder if a ma bell tech did this if he had to replace a faulty base and he only had this color on him and called it good enough?  I still like the phone though. I think I might have to replace the bulb in it as it will not light up when the transformer is hooked up to it. Will have to troubleshoot some more first I guess. I always liked the trimeline phones, at least the early ones. This puppy still has some heft to it as well. Not like the current cheap ones you can buy at walmart that as soon as you stretch the cord a bit the base comes sliding along.

McHeath

Nice phone.  I too like the Trimline and have a few of them.  Recently I bought a 4/66 made moss green one, rotary, and it was a good deal for 10 bucks.  Except then I melted the cord ends in the oven trying to tighten the coils. :'(

I recently read in Bell Magazine that the Trimline was introduced in late 65' in only a few cities, then slowly rolled out.  The article said they hoped to have full availability by the end of 67'.  Also, they did not have touch tone models yet, it was a March of 66' edition of the magazine, but hoped to introduce them by the fall of that year.  Demand way outstripped supply it seems. 

I used a Trimline clone from about 1989 till 97' or so as my kitchen wall phone, it was a very comfortable design and I enjoyed it.  Still have it but the buttons started to act up, it was a Korean made knockoff and so did not have much durability.  I currently have two Bell System Trimlines, a 1979 touch tone and the 66' rotary.  I like the color of yours, and much prefer the early ones with their hardwired looking handset cords. 

Tonyrotary

I like the color or should I say colors too. And I agree the hardwire ones are better loooking. Interesting to hear that Bell only rolled out the trimeline in a few cities at first. Maybe they had no idea it would be so popular.