News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Electric H 270 Wall Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 25, 2010, 12:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I went to the Royal Oak flea market again today, and one of the regular dealers had a North wall phone for sale.  The price seemed a bit high, but the phone was quite clean, and the bakelite was in very good condition (and I felt like buying something), so I bought it for $55.  The base shows a model number "H 270" and a date of 1953.  The phone does work.  It has a North dial which is missing the center ring.  I thought that I had a spare ring, but I do not, so now I need one.  I also need a wall on which to mount the phone.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Cool phone, Larry.  Looks like the seller knocked off $10.  Nice buy.

paul-f

Nice one Larry!  It's fortunate to find one with a North dial and an undamaged fingerwheel.  It should look great when polished and hanging on the wall you'll find for it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Larry....Steve in AZ has these in stock. I recently got one from him. Steve is a great guy and a credit to the hobby....Doug
Kidphone

savageje

Nice phone.  I wish I could find bakelite handsets that are in as good a condition as that one looks to be.

LarryInMichigan

The handset is in amazingly good condition.  It looks like it was barely used.  The condition was what made the phone so hard to resist.

I will have to ask Steve Hilsz for a dial center ring.  I have a long list of items to order from him soon.

Larry

McHeath

A neat phone, not one that I've ever encountered before.  The handset has a good shine on it, the whole phone will clean up well methinks.

LarryInMichigan

Being compulsive, I already dismantled, cleaned and reassembled the dial.  The face was dusty, and there were lots of little insect larvae shells in the crevices (you can see some in the center hole in the picture).  The shell only needs a simple cleaning and light polishing.

BTW, for those who haven't seen one of these before, the base is the same as for the "Galion" desk phone,  Instead of the shell being held to the base by two screws, like the desk model, the wall model shell sort of clamps onto the base.  This phone also has a straight line ringer, but I haven't tested it yet.  The handset cord is bent into curls.  It was probably wound into a circle and kept that way for years.  I need to try to straighten it.

Larry

foots

Nice one Larry. I like those North Electrics. They have some nicely designed handsets in my opinion.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"