"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

connecting the AEC 3 Slot dial - help please

Started by Gravityisahat, October 12, 2017, 05:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravityisahat

Hi

I am a new collector in the UK with a few British, European and American phones. Since MadMen I have loved the look of American phones form the 50 and 60's in all the crazy pastel colours. My wife treated me to a 3 slot AEC payphone and I would dearly love to get it to dial out. You can dial in successfully but i understand that due to a configuration that prevents users making free calls the dial is disconnected by default. Is there a simple, non destructive way of reconnecting the dial to use on a standard landline (be it that it has no bell)? Everything seems to be in order as far as i can gather (is there a coin trap missing soemwhere?)   - there appears to have been some professional modernisation (see image of new board), the gongs work etc. I have no intention of trying to get the coin payment system to work as that looks like a big investment in time and money. Please note I have no engineering skills to speak of, so please dumb down your responses. Many thanks - Chris.

The pictures below are hopefully self explanatory interior shots. One shows the upgrade module which supports a microswitch operated by the coin chute into the collection box. i have not been able to find another one of these on the web.

Welcome to CRPF, You will find lots of help here. Your phone is definitely a refurb.

HarrySmith

Welcome! I am not a payphone expert but I do recognize that Teltronics name that is on your board. You might find some info if you search here for it or one of our experts may chime in.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

Welcome!

Take a look at this topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19009.msg195555#msg195555

especially Stan's Phoneco instruction attachment, replay #22

I guess it's same as yours or at least similar and should help you.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

poplar1

Quote from: Haf on October 12, 2017, 11:49:01 AM
Welcome!

Take a look at this topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19009.msg195555#msg195555

especially Stan's Phoneco instruction attachment, replay #22

I guess it's same as yours or at least similar and should help you.

Haf

Stan's link in reply #21 (oldest first)/#22 (newest first) is for the phonecoinc pcb. This phone has a Teltronics device that replaces the original Automatic Electric (AE) semi-postpay relay.

Since this is a semi-postpay (LPB-86-55) telephone, the dial should be functional without any coin deposit. In fact, the user dialed the number without inserting coins until after the called party answered. The coins then fell into the vault; there was no way to refund them.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gravityisahat

Dear All - Thank you for all your suggestions. You have directed me to just the right information. I now have all the stuff I need sadly none of the skills.