and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

Quote from: Jim S. on March 27, 2010, 02:25:33 PM
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/category/communications/telephone/page/7/

Here is ad for the new set (page 7 2nd photo).  There are some interesting telephone ads on this site.
Jim
It is interesting in the smaller picture (wherever it went) that the footpad above the ringer volume dial does not have a rivet.  It is a screw on just like D/P set.  My opinion is these must be pictures of a prototype since production started with riveted leather footpads.  The advertisement is dated Jun, 1949.

The other picture would seem to be how the prototype looked - clear plungers, black body, G1 handset, straight vinyl cord, Z under Operator on dial, black plastic fingerwheel, etc.

This is my vote how the phone should look.

Dennis

Dan

It would be even more amazing if the set was one of the first 50  1948 models--I am actually beginning to believe this to be the case!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on March 28, 2010, 12:06:59 AM
Quote from: Jim S. on March 27, 2010, 02:25:33 PM
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/category/communications/telephone/page/7/

Here is ad for the new set (page 7 2nd photo).  There are some interesting telephone ads on this site.
Jim
It is interesting in the smaller picture (wherever it went) that the footpad above the ringer volume dial does not have a rivet.  It is a screw on just like D/P set.  My opinion is these must be pictures of a prototype since production started with riveted leather footpads.  The advertisement is dated Jun, 1949.

The other picture would seem to be how the prototype looked - clear plungers, black body, G1 handset, straight vinyl cord, Z under Operator on dial, etc.

This is my vote how the phone should look.

Dennis

Dennis,
Interesting point about the clear plungers. I would of guessed black for plungers.  
Hopefully Paul F. can compare photos of D/P's set and the other known set. That may help determine if D/P's is a 48 or '49. I still lean toward it being 1948.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Not only are those plungers clear, they appear to be from a 302 as they are flat topped and rather short.  

As was noted this ad is from June of 49', so this is more than likely what your phone looked like D/P when it was intact.  

Dan/Panther

It also goes with the Dreyfus Pre-production photo. I would not have guessed clear plungers.
Notice also the modified frame by the ringer volume control, and the location of the word LOUD.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Dan;
If you look at the bid history, it tells you what all previous lower bids were. So when the guy inadvertently bid $1601.00, it automatically put his bid at $510.00, enough to overcome my maximum bid. hen he retracted his bid, the high bid reverted back to $10.50, but on the bid history page it showed that my maximum bid was $500.00 before he retracted his. A major flaw in ebays system. If you want to know what a person has bid, just bid real high then retract  your high bid. Then go to bid history and see what the high was after your bid.

D/P

Vern P

Yes I know I am late on joining on this, but CONGRATS on getting this very rare set !!

I have not read the whole thing yet, so some or all of this may have been said But this is my 2 cents worth. 

This is a feild trial set, not a proto type.  I would clean it has is beeing done, and add old feet.  I will give you some if needed.  A copy of the finger wheel could be made. I would do so, as when this is put out for disply, folks will "dial"the dial.  Speaking of the dail, I would disply a photo of the back side with the phone to show it off. 

I do hope Dan will will write the story of this telephone, and share with the ATCA and TCI newsletters, as this is way to rare of a set not to share the info with the other collectors.

Again, yes I know I am late to this, and CONGRATS on a great find. Just my 2 cents worth. I don't know it all or clame to.

Vern P     

bwanna

originally i thot the clear case was a good idea, however i see what jorge(?) means. someone might think the clear case was the original type case. i am still all for leaving the internal workings visible.

how about a museum type display. leave the chassis uncovered, set a shell next to it. of course add the appropriate handset & cords to the chassis. include informative photos & text. put the whole set-up under a portable display case. i think this would make a very impressive presentation at the various shows.

JMHO 8)
donna

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

D/P:

Another way to share this rare finding is to write an article about the set and submit it for publishing to the Singing Wires magazine. You could contact Russ Cowell for information about guidelines and what not.

I am sure they would welcome an article 3 or 4 pages long with half a dozen pictures.

Jorge

Phonesrfun

Jorge:

That is an excellent suggestion.
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 28, 2010, 11:58:06 AM
D/P:

Another way to share this rare finding is to write an article about the set and submit it for publishing to the Singing Wires magazine. You could contact Russ Cowell for information about guidelines and what not.

I am sure they would welcome an article 3 or 4 pages long with half a dozen pictures.

D/P
Paul F. would gladly help you turn your rough notes into a polished article, I suspect Russ would be willing to help as well. Any excess photos would get put into the bonus pages of the e-version.

Between Paul F. and Russ Cowell there is a lot of background info already collected about the history of this model.

The finished artcle could get posted as a locked thread on the forum.

There is so many good photos and unusual parts on this phone. That this would
make a good 5-1/2 x 8-1/2 color booklet. You could either  sell the booklet or have a pdf file set-up for booklet form, so people could print there own.

I would be interested in 2-3 booklets on this phone subject,  1 to read, 1 for the shelf, and a spare.

Jim
BTW since this is a field trial set and was to be returned to Bell Labs for repair, There is not going to be a BSP on this phone unless one was written for internal use at Bell Labs. Paul F. mentioned there might be some bsp's for some of the components. 
There may be different wording or ink color on the bases of the '48's and '49's Field trial sets.

You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

I have been asked about collaboration to write an article. I would be more than happy to supply anything needed in the way of Photos or text that would be required of me. I don't have any problem with that at all. I would feel much more comfortable having someone else ask me questions and then have them transcribe what I say into an article. As far a writing the article myself, I would fear I would not do justice to the phone due to my lack of advanced knowledge, whereas Paul, or Russ would be able to put all of my facts and photos in to proper historical context. Two Years ago, I didn't even know the difference from a W.E. and an A.E. desk set. I had one of each in black, and didn't know they were different phones.

Vern;
Thanks for your comments. As it turns out the feet are not common to any know style 302, early 500, Galion none are a match. If you have feet like the diagram submitted of course they would be a welcome addition. As it is right Now, Dennis Hallworth is fabricating the two feet needed.
as mentioned above I would welcome anyone willing to help write a GOOD article for ATCA, and TCI.
As far as the finger wheel goes. I'm in the process of drawing a detailed blueprint of then exact dimensions for a tool maker friend of mine, or myself to fabricate a new one. Photos below, of the feet and finger wheel. After the drawing is complete I will add the dimensions.

D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on March 28, 2010, 12:59:26 AM
Not only are those plungers clear, they appear to be from a 302 as they are flat topped and rather short.  

As was noted this ad is from June of 49', so this is more than likely what your phone looked like D/P when it was intact.  

The Pacific Telephone photo (pg 3 of thread) shows black plungers. The photo is dated 11/49.

I think the '49 production sets have black plungers, but it appears the field trial sets used clear. D/P's phone should be clear plungers.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Anothered thought on escaped telephones. Phones used for photo shoots are probably likely canidates for slipping out back door.

Another thought.
Has anyone re-visited the Dreyfuss photo and studied the background photos?

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/79f7ddd94338f795_landing

I haven't yet, but I know there are some interesting photos in the background.

This link will allow a larger photo and acess to the Life photo archive:
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=79f7ddd94338f795&q=telephone%20source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtelephone%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1

Jim
You live, You learn,