"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 28, 2010, 01:22:56 PM
I have been asked about collaboration to write an article. I would be more than happy to supply anything needed in the way of Photos or text that would be required of me. I don't have any problem with that at all. I would feel much more comfortable having someone else ask me questions and then have them transcribe what i say into an article. As far a writing the article myself, I would fear I would not do justice to the phone due to my lack of advanced knowledge, whereas Paul, or Russ would be able to put all of my facts and photos in to proper historical context. submitted of course they would be a welcome addition. As it is right Now, Dennis Hallworth is fabricating the two feet needed.
as mentioned above I would welcome anyone willing to help write a GOOD article for ATCA, and TCI.

D/P

I would see if Paul and Russ would do the article, They have background info on this phone. Their names on the article add authenticity to the subject.
I think an article should also provide the links to the 2 links that discuss the ""improved Telephone" ('49 conference and BSTJ 4_51).
Any of the other early 500 photo links should also be added. This is for the benefit of "early 500" researchers.
This is where a booklet form would be nice. I would buy several, Mcheath is good for least 1 and so is Drew, My guess is also Vern P. for a printed booklet.
( I base this on observations of postings)

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Jim;
I can see it now, On Oprahs Must read  book list, New York Times best sellers list, Jay Leno, David Letterman, Book signing tours. Probably a Steven Spielberg movie deal, Tom Hanks of course would play me. I don't have time for that crap....I better find an agent quick, I've heard horror stories about fortunes being lost to the lawyers.... :P :P :P :o :o :o ::)
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

gpo706

working title: "The Dreyfuss Code" if I find an original case in the jantors supply cupboard at Roslin Abbey, I can get the bus down and you can sign my book.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 28, 2010, 03:05:26 PM

Jim;
I can see it now, On Oprahs Must read  book list, New York Times best sellers list, Jay Leno, David Letterman, Book signing tours. Probably a Steven Spielberg movie deal, Tom Hanks of course would play me. I don't have time for that crap....I better find an agent quick, I've heard horror stories about fortunes being lost to the lawyers.... :P :P :P :o :o :o ::)
D/P

Don't go gettin scared.  Photos w/ short captions can make quite informative booklets.

Jim
You live, You learn,

bwanna

d/p.... i wouldn't make much of an agent (being so bashful & all :-[ )   but i can do great make-up/wardrode!  ;D

seriously,  do think about doing a booklet  :)
donna

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on March 28, 2010, 08:33:30 PM
d/p.... i wouldn't make much of an agent (being so bashful & all :-[ )   but i can do great make-up/wardrode!  ;D

You are hired.
Why are you volunteering ?
D/P

Dan/Panther

I've just finished up the preliminary drawings for the finger wheel. Now all I have to do is add the dimensions and find a machinist to make it. I could make it, but it would take me days probably.
Anyone want a shot at it, or know someone ?
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 28, 2010, 09:09:30 PM
Quote from: bwanna on March 28, 2010, 08:33:30 PM

You are hired.
Why are you volunteering ?
D/P

I bet D/P could get a book signing gig at a telephone show.
Jim
You live, You learn,

bwanna

d/p, your drawing looks like very tedious work. nice job & good luck finding a machinist.

of course i am volunteering :)  as long as you pay all expenses while we are on tour  ;)
donna

Dan/Panther

I can see it now just like Walter Mitty....

Bwanna;
So far I have about 12 hours in that drawing, on paper the drawing is a 1 to 1 scale.
Computer makes it much easier, but a real draftsman could have drawn the wheel in a couple hours probably.
D/P

Phonesrfun

I remember as a student in high school, taking drafting, one of those ecxercises in getting to know the compass was to draw a telephone dial.  That seems like a million years ago.  D/P, yours looks great!

Manual or computer, either way, that's one heck of a lot of work.

-Bill G

gpo706

Dan/P what material is the fingerdial being made from?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 28, 2010, 09:12:45 PM
I've just finished up the preliminary drawings for the finger wheel. Now all I have to do is add the dimensions and find a machinist to make it. I could make it, but it would take me days probably.
Anyone want a shot at it, or know someone ?
D/P
Nice job on the drawing.  Same question - have you identified the original material?

I have seen plastic sold both in 12" x 12" sheets and rod.  It looks like a lathe would be able to make most of the surface cuts then the holes could be drilled and lead-in edged rounded.  The center hole was probably two drilled holes to get the rounded ends then the sides filed flat.  The square holes also could be filed square.

If it is plastic then a machinist or a woodworker could make it.  Since I do not have a lathe (yet) I can not help.  I keep looking at table top lathes but can not justify (or afford) one --- yet.

I have found drawings of parts from that time period (1940's) were in fractions of an inch (not decimals) and angles were common - 30, 45, 60, 90, etc.  You will find the hole diameters are common sizes.  Also when making holes like the center hole, they used multiple circles.  An example the 500 footpad plates were made using four arches and two straight edges.  I think the issue was making the tooling with the existing technology.

Make sure you hang onto the original part.

Dennis

Vern P

This is more of my 2 cents worth.  Good to know that you are getting help with new feet, since they are not of the 302 or 500 type.

For disply, I agree that a shell sat next to the base would be the best way to disply. I don't know I would put a hand set with it, as folks would "set it on the base" I don't know if this would hurt the base or not.  As for disply at shows. it would be best just to leave it out in the open and not in a case. I have done this in the past.

Yes a booklet would be a very good thing to have printed. It coud be made from just the story worte for the newsletter. As it would be easier to find when needed than the newsletter.

Yes Paul and Russ would do a great job of this. They did on on the delvolment of the 500 back in ealry 2009 for TCI. It was not given to ATCA to be printed, what a great loss.  I woud hope that the same thing does not happen with the story about this 500.

As for the dial,  job WELL DONE. As a machinst, (long out of the feild) I can see that it would not be hard to make. exceptely if they still working.

Again, just my 2 cent worth.

Vern P 

JorgeAmely

The original material would have been Tenite, just like the rest of the phone. The wheel would have been injection molded. Since it would be very expensive to create a mold to inject only one, the only viable way to make a replacement would be to have a shop create a C&C program to make one out of Delrin or a suitable material.

We contract out plastic parts at work and Delrin is the plastic of choice, however, it is not too shiny as the one out of Tenite would have been. Maybe a clear coating at the end or black paint will yield something close to the original.  

My 2 cents for a total of 6 so far.
Jorge