News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew

We may need a Chapter Two of 'Now it Can Be Told' as this thread heads towards 30 pages and no doubt will reach 40 or 50 pages or even 100.

I've enjoyed every post, but see a point where repetitive info and the inability to find a referenced statement will be upon us.

Just an idea ?

Some serious 500 history is being delved into, and it's great !

Drew

Dan/Panther

Paul;
A couple questions. Is  there any one still here that was a part of all this back then. If so are they co-operative with discussing things that happened then.
And yourself, do you collect phones, or do you mostly do research and collect documention ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 31, 2010, 04:34:15 PM
Paul;
A couple questions. Is  there any one still here that was a part of all this back then. If so are they co-operative with discussing things that happened then.
And yourself, do you collect phones, or do you mostly do research and collect documention ?
D/P

I haven't run into anyone in collector circles that was part of the 500 development effort.  I'm still hopeful that we'll learn of someone (although time is clearly running out.)

Oh yes.  As the opening line goes: "My name is Paul, and I'm a phone collector."

Most of the phone photos on my site that aren't credited to someone else are or were in my collection.  As Jim hinted at earlier in this thread, the interest in documentation came after years of conflicting discussion among collectors.  We are gradually trying to seperate the fact from the folklore by quoting sources where possible and building on-line document archives.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 31, 2010, 12:34:35 PM
Typically in my experience with a nut and screw in the center like that, You loosened the nut, adjusted the central screw to some specification, then re-lock the nut. But looking at a schematic of the EQ, The only thing I can think of is the screw was used to align the Thermistor bead, to the tungsten filament for maximum output of the Equalizer after assembling the EQ module. Later versions were modified to eliminate this problem maybe by the tube assembly. This version may have a separate filament and bead..
It would be similar to aligning the exciter bulb to the sound drum on a movie projector. Adjust the exciter bulb to maximum modulation without distortion of sound from the projectors amplifier, by aligning it to the sound drum.
If this is the case, once again it would in my mind points to an earlier version of the EQ.
D/P

Does the screw have an adjustment slot across the center face?

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
upon closer examination, no it does not have an adjusting slot which eliminates my theory of an adjustable Thermistor bead. However it could be a mounting for the newer tube. If that is what will determine the closest age of my set, I may have to open it and see, if indeed it is the mounting for the tube.
D/p

JorgeAmely

D/P:

Since it is such an early set, and the equalizer is a four contacts tube (pretty much like a light bulb), the screw and nut could be used to hold a socket in place. The tube and socket slide sideways inside the  container and it is secured to the side with the nut. From the socket I would expect four leads going to the terminal lid, which is secured with tabs to the equalizer box.

Just a theory. We need Dan from Ohio to X ray the box to confirm this.
Jorge

Dan

Hey, standard xrays (dental, in my case) will not show through the exterior metal (steel) . The fact the equalizer works has been determined. A dense metal like steel would just show as an opaque white on the film. A 3-D cat scan (I'm getting out of my league here) may differentiate metal densities and unlock what's inside.

I don't know any MD's who could do this, but for the general knowledge obtained, it would be worth it. If we could find  phone enthusiast, MD who knows?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bwanna

or superman w/his x-ray vision ;D
donna

Jim Stettler

Jon Finder is a pediatrician and phone enthusiast.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan, I think the box is made of aluminum.

Jorge

Dan

I will take an aluminum pop can (soda for you easterners) and xray it and put a steel nail behind it to represent the tungsten filament . What are we trying to prove again? I'm a little lost....

Phonesrfun

My 1951 early production phone has an equalizer dated Dec 1950.  It has no nut on the side.  It is made of aluminum, and is not potted inside.  There is no conceivable need for a nut or adjusting screw on this particular production equalizer.

Here, for everyone's viewing enjoyment is a photo of the inside of the equalizer.  The lamp and the thermistor are a one-piece  glass-enclosed unit.  The varistor (not to be confused with thermistor) is the flat thing on the side.

It looks exactly like one of the photos in one of the journal articles that has been much quoted in this thread.

-Bill G

Dan

Wow ,a jellyfish has invaded your phone  ;) :o ::)