"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Just an observation from a newcomer.

Anybody with deep enough pockets can "possess" just about anything they like.   Possession's relatively easy. 

Taking responsibility for something as significant as this field-test phone is a whole different thing.   I'd call it "custody" because of the responsibility that goes with it.

D/P and everyone in this excellent group of people who's contributed to the project have assumed custody for the preservation of a significant piece of communications history, and it's an impressive effort all around.   My hat is off to all of you.

Dan/Panther

Jim;
I'm waiting here holding my breath.
Two pieces of compelling evidence points me towards 48 Pre-Production Field Trial Set.
1) The write up in BST, 4/51
The drawings are exactly like my phone components.
Mine has the aluminum dial mount.
The bell coil is wrapped in green.
Mine has the aiming dots.
Plus the photo with the article.

2)In my mind the most compelling piece of evidence is the bottom markings (photo below)
Why would that instruction be placed on the bottom of a prototype that wasn't going anyplace ?

B.O.P.;
We don't take that responsibility lightly either.

Dan;
I think Tom is like that guy in Twilight Zone, everyone else gets older and he stays young, Tom is really 250 years old.

Tom;
It amazes me also the way everyone rallied around this find. I'm very thankful they did. The project would have taken much, much longer without Dennis' help, Jim' help, and everyone that gave great advice.
I can't ever forget, Michael Bachefski, from Toms River, New Jersey, for selling me the phone in the first place.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

D/P, I was thinking the same thing (but Jim has done so much reading up on this that I didn't feel qualified to question him) regarding the verbiage on the bottom of the phone.  My feeling is the same as yours--they wouldn't have put that on there unless it was going to be deployed for testing outside of company facilities.  Maybe if Jim has a theory on that, he'll share it with us.

I truly think that with your discovery and securing of what may be the only pre-production 500 we will ever see, you have sparked a level of interest that we haven't experienced up until now, and we'll get to the bottom of the development timeline for this model and where you're phone fits in eventually. 

I was going to offer you my less-than perfect G1 that I'm guessing is from 12/1950 (vermillion is way faded) for this worthy cause, but you got a much nicer batch of components from Jim.

Count me among those who would like to see this phone in person at a show someday. 

Ralph
Ralph

rp2813

Also, and with 43 pages and counting it may have already been addressed here, but has the bezel been discussed?  From what I've read, I'm thinking that although the injection method was used for the characters, WECo still didn't have the means to use this method on a huge scale, so the early production sets got painted characters instead until WECo was able to tool up and mass-produce the injected bezels.  This adds yet another unique trait to this unusual phone.

I don't think there's any question that D/P's phone has a lot of "hand-made" (or nearly so) components that were produced in limited quantities.   I hope we learn more about it as the research continues.  Dan, I think you have triggered some re-writing of history regarding the 500!
Ralph

AET

Thank you Dan, the fedora's a true original Stetson.  I'm guessing from the 40s or 50s.  I got this one and a Cavanaugh for 5 bucks a piece at Vinnie's. 

Also, D/P, it's funny you put things that way.  I get told all the time that I'm from the wrong decade or something else of the like. 

Quote from: Dan on April 09, 2010, 07:59:59 AM
Nice new picture Tom, a fedora is always a plus!
Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 09, 2010, 01:09:06 PM

Dan;
I think Tom is like that guy in Twilight Zone, everyone else gets older and he stays young, Tom is really 250 years old.

Tom;
It amazes me also the way everyone rallied around this find. I'm very thankful they did. The project would have taken much, much longer without Dennis' help, Jim' help, and everyone that gave great advice.
I can't ever forget, Michael Bachefski, from Toms River, New Jersey, for selling me the phone in the first place.

D/P

- Tom

baldopeacock

Not that Dan/Panther would have any intention of letting go of this phone - but I would have to wonder what kind of money it could bring now?  

It was listed as a parts phone on eBay, it took a sharp eye to not only find it but recognize what it might be.  Now that it's identified and brought back to life, and with the reality that it's likely the only surviving field trial 500 -

Hard to put a value on this phone.

Dan/Panther

Tom;
Do you know Doc Brown, by any chance ???

Ralph;
I'm in no way questioning Paul, or Jim. In my line of work, all my life I was trained to troubleshoot technical problems, on complicated expensive factory equipment. Why it broke, and the best way to fix it, and ac possible way to prevent further breakage of the same component.

In 35 years, I learned two very important things,

1) No matter how well you know a subject, if someone else offers a comment or opinion, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, LISTEN TO THEM. It is just possible a new set of eyes and a different brain may see something you didn't.

2) The simplest solution, or explanation of a problem, is USUALLY the correct one.

I would be disappointed in Paul and Jim if they refused to at least, entertain  alternate opinions, or points of view, and to discuss them, and offer reasons for their opinion. "That's just the way it is", won't cut it.
After all "None is blinder than the one that refuses to see....."

It never was and never will be my intention just to make someone angry because i don't agree with them, If I'm wrong show me, convince me, I'm not above saying to anyone any time, "I was wrong."

D/P

Dan/Panther

B.O.P.:
I couldn't even venture a guess.
It would of course, depend totally, on proving what it really is. Like I've mentioned in an earlier post, I have what we believe to be a rifle owned by William Cody, Buffalo Bill. Serial number is 7 on the rifle, and Records indicate that Cody purchased 5 of the first ten model 86's produced. My dad bought it form the husband of Codys Granddaughter. DUH!!!! If ownership could be proven, it may be worth thousands, as it is, My Dad a few years back was offered $600.00 by a collector.
Same applies to this phone.
I doubt this phone will ever be for sale, it belongs on  permanent display in a  museum.

D/P

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 09, 2010, 04:01:38 PM

I doubt this phone will ever be for sale, it belongs on  permanent display in a  museum.

D/P

Definitely a legacy item.   I'm glad you're the custodian.   It's not every day that someone gets a chance to preserve a serious piece of history.

Wonder if any of the other field trial sets would have been recycled with production parts, bases repainted, and ended up living out their lives as just another phone?   

Dan/Panther

B.O.P.;
I did my best to make it look good. Many others out there could have done the same, and many could most likely have done even better.
I will say, I don't think many could have done it with more enthusiasm, or excitement.

I did some cleanup and scratch removal on the shell, then polished it, and the handset with Novus. Whatdayathink ????

D/P

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

baldopeacock

When you finalize your display ideas, I hope you have a series of photos showing it as-found and through the restoration process.   This phone looks amazingly great now.

Doug Rose

Dan....outstanding!! A job well done and a great piece of history. You should be very proud....Doug
Kidphone

gpo706

That looks gorgeous.

I was gonna object to dremmeling the body but its a scrapper anyway, with the big chunk out of the side.

I would take up the dentist drill suggestion if you want to have a half and half case.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 09, 2010, 05:17:51 AM
When you say about there being 200 million of those bad boys made and D/P has the oldest, it makes me proud just to know D/P.  And Jim, it was very kind of you to send a 500 shell and handset that is older than any 500 in my collection.  Kudos on your kindness.

Tom,
If the dial wasn't '56 and the network '57, Then D/P would still need a housing.
As it was the shell and Handset was waiting for a good phone to be put on to.
D/P's phone seemed like the best canidate.
I really have been enjoying this thread, so I didn't mind kicking in a "member" fee. :D

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.