News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

what would be really cool, in addition to the conference on rotary phones. hook up on skype, so we can all see each other, too.  .....

past meets future.

i am sure it would be quite a hoot to see all us old farts dealing w/ technology ;)
donna

paul-f

Donna,

Does Skype have conference calls?  That would be entertaining.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bwanna

i am not a regular skype user. we use it at my brother's house to talk to my out of state neice.

i just looked the their website, tho. unfortunately video conferences are not available.  :(

looks like we could use it as the medium for the conference phone call. i think only one person would actually have to have skype. others may know more about this than i do. 8)
donna

McHeath

QuoteMcHeath,
I agree it is most likely a '48 vs 49.
However it does seem to me to be on the early side of '48.
Instead of branding it as a "48 however, I am trying to justify that it colud be earlier. If  only to help us keep open minds.

Either way I would say it is a pre-production set and it was around in 1948.

Before Paul came up with the examples, most money was on it being a 1949.
ISTR that you held firm on 1948.

Yeah I've been a 48' man for a while now, after seeing some of the first shots it seemed to be more in line with what little I'd heard about the 48's pre productions.

But what do I know?  I'm really a newbie at all this, and only going on what I've read here and there. 

It's too bad that Genaro has no stories to share about it, and that the men who worked on it are gone.  Hopefully there is a paper trail at Bell Labs.

AET

Quote from: bwanna on April 12, 2010, 08:15:04 PM
i am sure it would be quite a hoot to see all us old farts dealing w/ technology ;)

And us young ones too :)
- Tom

McHeath

Oh and I should also add the coolness factor that we actually got contact with Don Genaro is amazingly high!  This is the man who designed the Trimline, did the 2500, put the pick up grooves on the Princess and the creases on the 554, he was there designing the phones we collect today.  How cool is it that Paul got a reply from him about D/P's phone?

And on that cover you fabricated for the back of the dial, you never cease to amaze me D/P.  I'm starting to think that you could make the whole phone if you wanted to.  If we ever get stranded on a desert island you are the guy we want on our team.

LarryInMichigan

QuoteAnd on that cover you fabricated for the back of the dial, you never cease to amaze me D/P.  I'm starting to think that you could make the whole phone if you wanted to.

If we ever run out of antique phones to collect, D/P can make us new ones ;)

Dennis Markham

Dan, the job on the plastic cover is amazing.  Very nice.  I look forward to seeing a post some time of how you did that.  Perhaps a new thread just about that process.

bwanna

d/p.... i forgot to compliment you on your ingenuity in fabricating the dial cover :) nice job, keep up the good work  ;)

in hindsight it may have been prudent to set up a separate category devoted this topic. with each process in the restoration having it's own thread. it would probably be a nightmare now to do so now ??? moving the various posts to appropriate topic threads.....

just a crazy idea.
donna

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 13, 2010, 10:28:38 AM
Dan, the job on the plastic cover is amazing.  Very nice.  I look forward to seeing a post some time of how you did that.  Perhaps a new thread just about that process.

Agree with Dennis - I have no idea how you made that cover, Dan, but it's a heck of a good job.   Between that and reproducing the finger wheel, you are the man.

Dan/Panther

The process of how to make that cover is not my invention, but I did build the unit that I used t make mine. It is relatively simple to do, it's like a magic trick, once you know the secret, it no big deal, and my guess is, most will have what you need to make your own right in your workshop, or  worst scenario, you may have to go to the local Home depot for the parts needed.
I will start a new thread about how to make your own. With 8X10 glossies, with a paragraph written on the back of each one.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on April 12, 2010, 07:34:13 PM
ok, sure jim....i can be agent & publisher ;)  i am competent in publisher & excel, so i could probably figure it out.

Bwanna;
I thought I was the only person on the planet that used Microsoft Publisher.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 13, 2010, 12:51:08 PM
I will start a new thread about how to make your own. With 8X10 glossies, with a paragraph written on the back of each one.

D/P

-- Complete with an "Alice's Restaurant" reference.  To be used as evidence against us.  So we put the half a ton of garbage in the back of the VW microbus, with shovels and rakes and implements of destruction...

rp2813

Yeah, the "Alice's Restaurant" reference is actually sort of appropriate, considering D/P's phone was probably one run shy of heading to the garbage heap.
Ralph

bwanna

Bwanna;
I thought I was the only person on the planet that used Microsoft Publisher.
D/P

is there something else  ??? ;D :o

donna