News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

You should try hanging around Alice's Restaurant, you know you can get anything you want.
D/P

Bwanna;
I had to go almost a year without it, because it wasn't compatible with Vista. Finally got it to run.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Dan:

You sent me a question about handset wiring.

Here is a photo of my 1951 production model and how the handset cord is wired to the EQ...  I would expect your earlier model to be the same or at least similar.

Also, at the bottom of this post is the 500 a,b,j,k wiring diagram from the TCI technical pages which is the earlier EQ version.

Hope this helps!

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

For some reason the diagram in pdf form didn't seem to come through.  Here it is again.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Thanks for the schematic. Now one more part is in the can.
Well, I decided I wasn't going to be able to find the right cord, SO! you guessed it, I made one. All I could find was 4 conductor cord with 1 Red, 1 Black, 1 White, and 1 Green. So I got a can of white Fusion paint for plastics, and painted the green wire white.
I was going to use old spade connectors, but by the time I got them off of the old wires, they just didn't look good. So I had to use new spade connectors. However I did get to crimp them with genuine Bell System crimping pliers.
I was able to find the chassis cord mounting hooks in brass, with no markings, cleaned them up and they turned out nice.
Here are a few photos of the cord, the wiring to the phone, and the wiring to the handset. One photo is of the completed phone, FINALLY complete and READY TO USE.
D/P

bwanna

unbelievably exxxxxcellllllllannnnnnt!! ;D :o :D :o :)
donna

baldopeacock

McHeath

See, there he goes again, making parts whenever he needs one and they look great.   :)

It looks fantastic, you've brought this phone back and have done a service to history in the process. You should be very proud of your work.  Again, this phone clearly fell into the right hands as you have the talent to fix and replace the parts needed, coupled with the respect and care for it's place in history. 

Great work!

Dan/Panther

WOW! I am truly humble before you all.
D/P

Phonesrfun

D/P

I am dying to find out about it working or not.  Even without making that first historic phone call, do you at least get dial tone?

;D
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

O.K. this is what everyone I think was waiting for ?

I connected the phone to the line...

I get a dial tone,

I get a sweet Clickety Click when I dial, one like I've never heard before.

It breaks Dial Tone,

My cell phone rings,

Then I dialed my home phone number......

The D#17701 rang with the nicest ring I've heard,

When I lifted the receiver, it stopped ringing.

So As Far As I can Tell, It Does Work As Advertised....I am stoked....

I do not know if the Transmitter works or not as I did not talk over the phone as promised.
So Anytime we can go ahead with the conference call.....

Are there any Historic telephone related dates coming up soon ?

D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

Are you sure you are not related to MacGyver?

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 15, 2010, 01:17:13 PM
D/P:

Are you sure you are not related to MacGyver?

The closest I can get to MacGyver, is a couple Mission Impossibles.

There were a couple times, I was sweating bullets, thinking, "What If I break This part, they don't make em anymore ?"
D/P

Dan/Panther

Here's a photo of the phone on top of My vintage Philco television 1950 model.
Not a very good photo.
D/P

Wallphone

Did you do that on purpose to get Dennis M. riled up?
IT'S TOO CLOSE TO THE EDGE !!!
I hope that you don't have cats.
Dougpav

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 15, 2010, 01:15:46 PM

I get a sweet Clickety Click when I dial, one like I've never heard before.

Dan:

When you say that you hear the sweet clickety click, I would hope that you are talking about purely the mechanical noise from the gears of the dial itself and not dial pops or loud clicks in the receiver.  The receiver should be muted by the dial shunt springs so it should be silent during dialing.

From what you have posted, this is very exciting information.  keep up the great work.  And that is one nice collection you have going on there.  My sincere compliments!

-Bill G