News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Oops, sorry. It was this topic but I didn't notice that it was from back in April!  I added the quote to my post now. Was when you were trying to email Mo the complete audio file of the 1 hour phone call.

Terry

MagicMo

I never did get the file. I think my email was unable to handle it. I think I was supposed to go to a third party site and sign up to listen to it?
Dan, You should take a video and YouTube it!
Actually, I would love to see it in person. Will you display it at any telephone shows?
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Dan/Panther

Mo;
There is a website called dropbox.com, Google it.
If you download the app to your computer, I can send large files to you. I recently signed up and it works great.
Dan If you sign up, just let me know, and I can send to the files.

Regards;
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

MagicMo

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 14, 2013, 01:55:09 PM
Mo;
There is a website called dropbox.com, Google it.
If you download the app to your computer, I can send large files to you. I recently signed up and it works great.
Dan If you sign up, just let me know, and I can send to the files.

Regards;
D/P

Hi Dan,
I signed up. What do I do now?
Thanks
Mo

Dan/Panther

I sent the file through Dropbox to the email listed here. I hope it works.
D/P

MagicMo

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 30, 2013, 12:35:18 AM
I sent the file through Dropbox to the email listed here. I hope it works.
D/P

Thanks! I'll go check right now,  ;D

MagicMo

Dan,
I was reading some old posts and came across one from you (2009)

Bill;
I had to read our posts twice, i couldn't figure out how my post got into your post.
How starnge almost exact saying posted at the same time. JINX !!!!

My Holy Grail, would be a 49 WE500, my birth year.
D/P

I thought that was cool!
Mo

WEBellSystemChristian

I was first very, very jealous that you got such a terrific find. :'( But as I kept reading about the restoration process, I became happy that you care so much about this phone, and that it WILL remain safe, because it's an important piece of history. ;) Flawless results and a fantastic job!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

Jim Stettler

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 09, 2013, 08:55:39 PM
I was first very, very jealous that you got such a terrific find. :'( But as I kept reading about the restoration process, I became happy that you care so much about this phone, and that it WILL remain safe, because it's an important piece of history. ;) Flawless results and a fantastic job!

I was on this thread at the beginning and I was very jealous as well, as the whole story spun out, I realized that I wasn't qualified to own that phone in that condition. I was amazed at D/P's capabilities in restoration and fabrication. What was really cool was all the help that Dan got as far as parts and research. It also got Paul F. to quit lurking and to join the forum. Many things  on this phone were different than the production model.

Earlier tonite I was on Paul F.'s site ('37 302's info) and saw the design drawing of the proposed set
Scroll down on the page

http://paul-f.com/weproto.html

This triggered my memory of the field trial lady.
She was a good friend of a Bell Lab's engineer and loved telephone technology, she had lived in NJ and did lots of field trials*. She got to field trial and keep telephones. She was in the first trial of the 500 proto type and was still peaved she had to give it back, they later replaced it with an early 500 but she said the other phone was different. When I saw the drawing it made me realize that might be what she meant.

D/P's set is pre-production, probably 1948 I am really leanig towards the housing being like the drawing.
JMO,
Jim

*Field trials she participated in: Interphone, ,panel phone, Schmoo (never used) 500 set, I think princesss and trimline as well.,
She was talked  into leaving her field trial panel phone in NJ, they replaced it with  a production model, she had all the BSP's ect for her interphone and they gave here an early 1949?  500, probably with the 1949 sticker like paul's site
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

I never get tired of revisiting this thread. Such a great time. None of this would have been possible without the collective help of the members of the forum. Time, research, advice, components and labor were contributed by many members, all donated to the cause. I still would like to put the set on permanent display someplace. I'm just not sure where it will not be lost at some future date, or sold for a profit on eBay.
D/P

WEBellSystemChristian

I would personally be afraid to touch it and destroy it with my fingerprints. I'd have to handle it with cloth gloves :P
Christian Petterson

Dan/Panther

It's now behind glass and I rarely ever touch it. I just can't resist once in awhile spinning the dial.
D/P
That never gets boring.

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

Rescuemo

Wow! Just read this entire thread, amazing find! My earliest 500 is a '53, awaiting restoration. Truly amazing to find one like that, an early test set, pre-production.  Congrats, D/P, you did it justice!
-Morris

I have a lot of phones, but I don't have enough.